It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:11 am

Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected compatibility with Free Edition

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

wurlitzerwilly

Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected compatibility with Free Edition

PostSun Jun 14, 2009 7:05 pm

B. Milan wrote:Dear all,

Soon we will be releasing a new Free Edition of Hauptwerk. As its name suggests, it will be entirely free for personal, home, non-commercial use. It will be included as part of Hauptwerk v3.23, which we hope to have released in about 2-3 weeks (around the end of June).

It will have all of the Hauptwerk Basic Edition features (and will work on all of its platforms), except for the following restrictions:

Brett/Martin.
Can I presume that ODFs can be written now, but with:
<Samples_SamplesAreProtected>N</Samples_SamplesAreProtected> always set to 'N'?
Will the minimum version number have to be 3.23?
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk Free Edition coming very soon

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 am

Hello Alan,

Can I presume that ODFs can be written now, but with:
<Samples_SamplesAreProtected>N</Samples_SamplesAreProtected> always set to 'N'?

No. The Custom Organ Design Module Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected setting, as well as the sample set copy-protection system, behave exactly as before. You still need to set the setting to Y if the samples are copy-protected and N otherwise.

Will the minimum version number have to be 3.23?

No. There won't be any changes to the organ definition file (ODF) format for v3.23. The last time the main ODF format changed was for v3.20. Whenever Hauptwerk saves/generates an ODF it always saves it in the current format, and sets the prerequisite version setting accordingly. Hence that ODF format version is currently v3.20 (and will be for v3.23).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wurlitzerwilly

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:03 am

mdyde wrote:No. The Custom Organ Design Module Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected setting, as well as the sample set copy-protection system, behave exactly as before. You still need to set the setting to Y if the samples are copy-protected and N otherwise.

Hi Martin.

I don't quite fully understand.
If the Samples_SamplesAreProtected setting is set to "Y", surely that would require a licence key to allow them to be run? If I'm reading you right, there is no licence key for the free version (I'm only talking of the free version) and only non-commercial (i.e. Unencrypted) sample sets will be allowed in free mode (e.g. St Anne's)? This to me implies that only .wav files will run under the free version?
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

mdyde

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:15 am

Hello Alan,

If I'm reading you right, there is no licence key for the free version (I'm only talking of the free version)

Correct.

and only non-commercial (i.e. Unencrypted) sample sets will be allowed in free mode (e.g. St Anne's)? This to me implies that only .wav files will run under the free version?

Unencrypted samples (commercial or freeware) will always work in the Free Edition, since they don't require a USB key. Any copy-protected samples that are licensed via the USB key won't work in the Free Edition (unless the user has a valid USB key for Hauptwerk v2 attached with the sample set licence installed on it).

However, there's also a special mode in which samples can be copy-protected (encrypted) but without requiring the USB key or any other licence key, specifically so that they can be used in evalution or Free Editions of Hauptwerk, but can't be reverse-engineered. For example, some of the evaluation sample sets on our organ downloads page work in that way:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/instrumentdownloads

Please send us an email if you plan to release a sample set and want to copy-protect it in that way, and we can supply the relevant details.

Getting back to your original question, you asked whether the CODM Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected can now *always* be set to N. That's not the case if the ODF references copy-protected samples (whether or not those samples are licensed via the USB key). So if a samples are copy-protected (.hbw file extension) the setting should be Y, exactly as in previous versions, whereas if the samples aren't copy-protected (.wav extension) the setting should be N.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

Re: Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected compatibility with Free Edi

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:33 am

P.S. I've split these posts off from the original topic (Free Edition announcement) to keep them together and since they relate to the CODM.
Best regards, Martin.

wurlitzerwilly

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 6:58 pm

mdyde wrote:Getting back to your original question, you asked whether the CODM Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected can now *always* be set to N. That's not the case if the ODF references copy-protected samples (whether or not those samples are licensed via the USB key). So if a samples are copy-protected (.hbw file extension) the setting should be Y, exactly as in previous versions, whereas if the samples aren't copy-protected (.wav extension) the setting should be N.

Hi Martin.

Reading back through my previous posts, I now see where the real issue has become clouded. :)

What I was referring to was only writing ODFs (either in the CODM or MySQL) for use with the free version of Hauptwerk. Apart from the special mode which you've mentioned, that would normally be using non-encrypted .wav files, which being unencrypted would always use Rank.Samples_SamplesAreProtected set to N. It's my use of "always" without me explaining that it was only for .wav files used with the free edition that has caused confusion. :)
I did not mean to imply that encrypted .hbw files might use that setting. :oops:
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

cvw

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 2:18 pm

apart from all the philosophy: this flag just decides whether one must add ".wav" or ".hbw" to the sample file
names to access them, so very clearly, it is at least needed to determine for which files to look.

Yours,

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 pm

cvw wrote:apart from all the philosophy: this flag just decides whether one must add ".wav" or ".hbw" to the sample file
names to access them, so very clearly, it is at least needed to determine for which files to look.

Yours,

Yes, but it's a bit pointless using .hbw files if the free version will not run encrypted files.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes, but it's a bit pointless using .hbw files if the free version will not run encrypted files.

It will actually be able to run a special format of encrypted samples that do not require a USB key. Please contact us for details if you need to implement this into any samples you may have created.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 9:10 pm

B. Milan wrote:It will actually be able to run a special format of encrypted samples that do not require a USB key. Please contact us for details if you need to implement this into any samples you may have created.

Thanks Brett. I was aware of this new facility, but my comment is really directed at use of "ordinary" samples.

Joe has just written to you on the subject of "keyless encryption".
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

gingercat

PostFri Jun 26, 2009 2:32 am

wurlitzerwilly wrote:
B. Milan wrote:It will actually be able to run a special format of encrypted samples that do not require a USB key. Please contact us for details if you need to implement this into any samples you may have created.

Thanks Brett. I was aware of this new facility, but my comment is really directed at use of "ordinary" samples.

Joe has just written to you on the subject of "keyless encryption".

"Ordinary" (wav) samples aren't encrypted so can be used with any Hauptwerk version. The "special" non-dongled, but encypted samples (hbw), can also be used with any version of Hauptwerk and give the sample set producer the confidence that their samples can't be pilfered for use elsewhere etc. so this option is far from being pointless for the free edition as it may make producers more likely to produce small, free sets.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)