It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

Celestes

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

TheatreOrganNo1

Celestes

PostTue Jun 16, 2009 10:43 pm

I would love to have a sampleset with a few Celestes, how hard would it be to duplicate some of the stops on the St. Annes organ? I was thinking then I could slightly detune them. I was thinking about one of the flutes and the Dulciana, or both flutes, what what would you pick?

I know if I was using HW ver. 1 I could close my eyes and edit the definition file lol.
Jake C.
Organ Tuner, Shop Assistant at Carlton Smith Pipe Organ Restorations.
Atos-Cicatos
bartonbrass@sbcglobal.net

bcollins

Re: Celestes

PostWed Jun 17, 2009 12:10 am

Strictly speaking about the St. Ann's, if it were me I would celeste the Great Dulciana and call it an Unda Maris in Skinner fashion (sharp @ 6 cents or so). I don't really find any flutes suitable for celesting and there's already a VoixCelestes for the Gamba in the Swell.

Just my 2 cents.
Bob Collins

wurlitzerwilly

PostWed Jun 17, 2009 3:10 am

TheatreOrganNo1 wrote:I would love to have a sampleset with a few Celestes, how hard would it be to duplicate some of the stops on the St. Annes organ? I was thinking then I could slightly detune them. I was thinking about one of the flutes and the Dulciana, or both flutes, what what would you pick?

I know if I was using HW ver. 1 I could close my eyes and edit the definition file lol.

As you already have most of the St Anne's unencrypted code in the CODM examples, it would be quite easy to create Celestes. You just need to understand how the CODM works and which sections to make additions to. I have used 'standard' ranks and detuned them as Celestes and this works fine. You can easily make exact copies of the St Anne's samples and rename them as Celeste ranks, so that they can be 'seen' separately by Hauptwerk. You can then either write a set tuning position in the CODM or just use them with standard tuning and re-tune them as a user in Organ Settings.

Your worst problem would be to create the extra graphics if you want the St Anne's photo realistic layout.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

mdyde

PostWed Jun 17, 2009 4:00 am

Hello Jake,

It would be very quick and easy to do using the St. Anne's example CODM ODFs as a basis - no image or sample editing needed. Have a look at the CODM user's guide on the Help menu in Hauptwerk, or on-line here:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation

You would just add a Rank, StopRank and Stop entry for each of the new stops you want and adjust the following two Rank table parameters to adjust the tuning:

Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum036_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones
Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum096_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones

You can then reference the existing St. Anne's sample ranks (no need to rename, copy or retune the samples) and Hauptwerk will adjust the playback pitch in real-time to whatever you specified with the above CODM Rank parameters.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

BachsFugue

PostWed Jun 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Leo Christopherson (on this forum) used to have a flute celeste for download from his site http://www.leochristopherson.com/. It has both the in tune and detuned ranks in one stop. I've used it in my own organ definitions. He may still have it.

(Thanks, Leo.)
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)