It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

Organ Voicing Embedded in Installation Package

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

toplayer2

Organ Voicing Embedded in Installation Package

PostSun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 am

Please pardon my obvious ignorance in asking this question:

Is there a way to embed the organ voicing parameters adjusted with Advanced Edition's GUI into an ODF or made part of the installation package? It is my desire to establish a baseline configuration for a new VPO under development. Rather than arduously defining parameters such as "AmpLvl_StereoBalanceAdjustPercent" for each and every note by hand, it would be vastly more productive to leverage Hauptwerk's voicing system.

Thanks.

Joe

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Organ Voicing Embedded in Installation Package

PostSun Aug 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello Joe,

Yes, this is possible if you are using MySQL which is how we do all of the voicing "dumps" into our ODFs. Outside of MySQL I would need to refer to Martin's advice since we only use MySQL for ODF creation and those are the scripts we have which are created for performing the voicing export.

If you use MySQL then I can send you the instructions via email.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wurlitzerwilly

PostSun Aug 16, 2009 2:58 pm

B. Milan wrote:Hello Joe,

Yes, this is possible if you are using MySQL which is how we do all of the voicing "dumps" into our ODFs. Outside of MySQL I would need to refer to Martin's advice since we only use MySQL for ODF creation and those are the scripts we have which are created for performing the voicing export.

Hi Brett.

No doubt Martin will reveal all for non-MySQL users, but I can't help thinking that this may not be possible for CODM files because AFAIK the CODM generates a set of sensible voicing settings, which are only inserted during compilation of the full ODF.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the so-called sensible settings are generated from a fixed table, or intelligently by taking other author supplied parameters into consideration?
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

toplayer2

PostSun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Brett,

Thank you for your generous offer of assistance. Great customer service!!

Doing the voicing in Hauptwerk will be much more productive and will help reduce the effort needed by the user to have an acceptable sounding instrument.

Joe

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Aug 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Hello Joe,

No problem. Are you saying then that you are using the MySQL database and will need that information?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wurlitzerwilly

PostSun Aug 16, 2009 4:36 pm

No problem. Are you saying then that you are using the MySQL database and will need that information?

Yes he is Brett. :)

So that there is no intention to deceive - I will be doing the work because I have the MySQL licence and Joe will be supplying the data to be entered. I trust that meets with your approval and I would also like to thank you for your offer of assistance.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

toplayer2

PostMon Aug 17, 2009 8:16 am

Hi Brett,

Alan beat me to it, but yes, he is licensed for MySQL. I do not have sufficient knowledge and skill to write an ODF for a theater organ. I do hope and trust that with Alan's collaboration we can create products worthy of Hauptwerk and its user community.

Joe

mdyde

PostTue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 am

Hello Alan,

No doubt Martin will reveal all for non-MySQL users, but I can't help thinking that this may not be possible for CODM files because AFAIK the CODM generates a set of sensible voicing settings, which are only inserted during compilation of the full ODF.

I believe Brett's explained the procedure via email.

Briefly, for the benefit of anybody else reading this thread, the voicing scripts can only import into the 'full format' ODF format (CODM ODFs don't have per-pipe voicing settings), so you just need to run the voicing scripts as the final pre-release stage for your sample set, after letting the CODM compile the final ODF. Then if you want to produce subsequent updates, keep and use your CODM ODF and organ-config files as the masters and repeat the voicing import as the final stage prior to releasing the update.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the so-called sensible settings are generated from a fixed table, or intelligently by taking other author supplied parameters into consideration?

The parameters on the Rank table in the CODM ODF define the default voicing (you specify the values for notes 36 and 96 and the values for other pipes are determined by projecting linearly from those two points). Any voicing adjustments the user makes will then be relative to those parameters.

(The exception is the low/high-pass voicing filter, which is always off/zero by default since the CODM doesn't have parameters to control that.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Alan,

I believe Brett's explained the procedure via email.

Briefly, for the benefit of anybody else reading this thread, the voicing scripts can only import into the 'full format' ODF format (CODM ODFs don't have per-pipe voicing settings), so you just need to run the voicing scripts as the final pre-release stage for your sample set, after letting the CODM compile the final ODF. Then if you want to produce subsequent updates, keep and use your CODM ODF and organ-config files as the masters and repeat the voicing import as the final stage prior to releasing the update.

The parameters on the Rank table in the CODM ODF define the default voicing (you specify the values for notes 36 and 96 and the values for other pipes are determined by projecting linearly from those two points). Any voicing adjustments the user makes will then be relative to those parameters.

(The exception is the low/high-pass voicing filter, which is always off/zero by default since the CODM doesn't have parameters to control that.)

Hi Martin.

Yes, Brett did explain, but you have posted further useful information. Thank you.

It's a shame that such as Microsoft etc can't be as open about the internal workings of some of their software. :)
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)