It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 pm

Divisional and General Pistons

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ns_organist

Divisional and General Pistons

PostTue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 am

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to define specific locations for both my General, and my Divisional pistons. I understand that under the _General table, I can specify the number of generals, and both the starting position of the first piston and the ending location of the final piston (likewise for the divisionals) placing them all in a horizontal row. While this will work, it won't do exactly what I want. Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

I have 2 jambs defined, and want general pistons 1-7 to be on the left jamb (page3), and generals 8-15 on the right jamb (page 4). Also, within each division, I'd like to display 6 divisional pistons, in two rows of 3 (1-3 on the top, 3-6 below)

I know I could define to different CustomDisplay styles and define two sets of pistons -- for the divisions, one for the top and one for the bottom row -- likewise, for the generals, the first for general pistons 1-7, the second for 8-15 -- however, I can't figure out how to specify which piston is the starting piston (i.e. for my generals, start with general 1 for the left jamb, then start with general 8 for the right jamb - or for the divisionals, start with div 1 for the top row, end with div 3, then start on the second row with div 4 (directly below div 1), ending with div 6).

Other than using the custom display settings in the general table, is there a way I can define each individually (with greater flexibility)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks,
Kevin

mdyde

Re: Divisional and General Pistons

PostTue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 am

Hello Kevin,

I have 2 jambs defined, and want general pistons 1-7 to be on the left jamb (page3), and generals 8-15 on the right jamb (page 4). Also, within each division, I'd like to display 6 divisional pistons, in two rows of 3 (1-3 on the top, 3-6 below)

I'm afraid that isn't possible within the CODM ODF format. A given set of pistons (the generals, or divisionals for a given division) can be displayed on up to two different pages simultaneously, but are restricted to being displayed in a uniformly-spaced line on each page (the line can be at any angle, including horizontal or vertical).

Hence, for example, you could display all of your 15 generals on both of your left and right jamb pages (or all of them only on one if you prefer), but you can't split some of them onto one page and some onto the other. You also couldn't split your 6 Great divisionals into two rows of three - they would have to be in a row (or column) of 6.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 am

ns_organist wrote:Hello everyone,

I know I could define to different CustomDisplay styles and define two sets of pistons -- for the divisions, one for the top and one for the bottom row -- likewise, for the generals, the first for general pistons 1-7, the second for 8-15 -- however, I can't figure out how to specify which piston is the starting piston (i.e. for my generals, start with general 1 for the left jamb, then start with general 8 for the right jamb - or for the divisionals, start with div 1 for the top row, end with div 3, then start on the second row with div 4 (directly below div 1), ending with div 6).

Other than using the custom display settings in the general table, is there a way I can define each individually (with greater flexibility)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin.

I've never found that you can place any pistons other than in a continuous line either horizontally or at another angle and AFAIK the CODM is not designed to handle anything else.

Without resorting to special scripts or MySQL, you would have to edit the raw ODF. I have used the same editor for this as I would use for the CODM file.

You will now have to do some detective work. :)

Open the Sample Sets folder from your installed Hauptwerk folder, then open Organ Definitions, look for your ODF and load it into your editor. Search for an Object List type of "ImageSetInstance" which is where all piston image settings will be as well as other images. Now look for "CustPg1_Comb piston: General 01" which is the first of your general pistons - the last two non- zero sets of figures in that row are the x and y co-ordinates, relative to the top of the page. You can change them to put the piston wherever you want it. Subsequent pistons will number General 02 etc.
You will now need to search for an Object List type of "TextInstance" which is where all piston text settings will be as well as other texts. As before. look for "CustPg1_Comb piston: General 01" and the x and y co-ordinates are at the 6th and 7th entry row positions in the table for each piston, so you need to change these to move the text over the new piston position. Also, the CODM only allows consecutive figures as texts, so you could alter them in the ODF by the same method if you want something different.

If the Generals are duplicated on two separate pages you will also need to alter the same settings for "CustPg2_..............".

You need to be aware that you need to keep a note of the new settings and you may prefer not to change them until you have defined everything else using the CODM, because when the CODM file is re-loaded as Custom Organ, it will overwrite your ODF and destroy your new settings. You would then have to re-enter them into the ODF every time the CODM re-compiles. Once you've finished with the CODM, you can alter the ODF and then just load it as a normal organ.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Sep 08, 2009 5:48 am

mdyde wrote:I'm afraid that isn't possible within the CODM ODF format.

Sorry Martin, I was still writing my reply when you submitted yours. :)
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)