It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 pm

Rank Repitch Question

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Don

Rank Repitch Question

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 am

Hi gang

I've had a nagging question for close on two years now. :oops: The code for repitching a unison rank to a mutation rank doesn't make sense to me.

I've blindly copied the code from the St Annes example organs into my CODM config, and it works perfectly. And the interval tuning is perfect, not a 'borrowed' tempered interval.

Example: Using the Flute 4 to repitch for the Nazard 2 2/3, the line is
<Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples>5</Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples>

Question, How does the increment of 5 work? A step of a fifth up is 7 (isn't it?), from C to G say.

The Tierce 1 3/5 seems even more weird.
Using the Piccolo 2, the line is
<Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples>6</Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples>

I understand +12 or -12 gives an octave up or down, but the mutations have got me stumpted.

Help, my little pee brain needs to know! :?
I've probably (must have!) missed something blindly obvious. :roll:

Don.
Oz

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Rank Repitch Question

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 am

Hello Don,

I assume you are using the example from the 2nd St. Anne's CODM file for the Great Nazard. The setting of <Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples>5</Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples> is actually a small error in that CODM file as it should be set to 7 which eqauls a fifth. However this isn't the field which determines what pitch the samples get played back at, for that you want to modify the field called <Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum>24</Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum>.

No matter what the original pitch of a sample, if this is set to 24 it will play it as a 2 2/3 rank based on either the pitch embedded within the sample, or if they are specified as tuned to perfect concert pitch. Since the <Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples> was set to 5 Hauptwerk would be repitching them up 2 semitones to account for the missing 2 steps. So, set this to 7, thern set the rank base pitch to 24 and it should be correct.

We'll look at correcting the CODM ODF for the next version of Hauptwerk, sorry for those errors.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Don

Re: Rank Repitch Question

PostTue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 am

Thanks Brett

I feel relieved I haven't lost my marbles completely, not yet anyway! 8)

As I copied the rest from the example, I had the rank base pitch set to 24 OK, so that explains why it worked OK and also why the interval is 'perfect', as it should be.

Don
Oz.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)