It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

Silly Question on Display Attributes for Portrait GUI

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

AndrewW

Silly Question on Display Attributes for Portrait GUI

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm a complete newbie to CODM and have only looked through the CODM User Guide to date and haven't taken the step of editing files as yet.

I've looked to see how easy it is to configure GUI for Portrait dual display. The Table CustomDisplayConsoleStyle (starting on p41 of UG) appears to allow this to be done relatively straighforwardly. However, in the Table _General (starting on p50 of UG) has the attribute CustomDisplay_ConsoleWidthPixels identified with a range of 1012 - 1600 which is where I start scratching my head. Does this mean that a display has to have a resolution of 1280 x 1024 minimum (in landscape mode of course) to enable the display to be rotated and used in Hauptwerk? I was considering a 15" Touchscreen which is commonly only available as 1024 x 768. Even a 19" widescreen is 1400 x 900. Am I right to be concerned, or have I completely misinterpreted the attribute intent?

Sorry if it's a silly question.

wurlitzerwilly

Re: Silly Question on Display Attributes for Portrait GUI

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 5:30 pm

AndrewW wrote:I'm a complete newbie to CODM and have only looked through the CODM User Guide to date and haven't taken the step of editing files as yet.

I've looked to see how easy it is to configure GUI for Portrait dual display. The Table CustomDisplayConsoleStyle (starting on p41 of UG) appears to allow this to be done relatively straighforwardly. However, in the Table _General (starting on p50 of UG) has the attribute CustomDisplay_ConsoleWidthPixels identified with a range of 1012 - 1600 which is where I start scratching my head. Does this mean that a display has to have a resolution of 1280 x 1024 minimum (in landscape mode of course) to enable the display to be rotated and used in Hauptwerk? I was considering a 15" Touchscreen which is commonly only available as 1024 x 768. Even a 19" widescreen is 1400 x 900. Am I right to be concerned, or have I completely misinterpreted the attribute intent?

Sorry if it's a silly question.

The CODM allows widths between 1012 - 1600 px and heights between 640 - 1200 px so you can achieve 1400x900 within that range.
If you want to rotate the monitor through 90 degrees, you are still restricted by those limitations, but width now becomes height and height becomes width.
I don't know if you can specify outside this range with a full ODF, as I've never tries it, but sometimes by it's nature, the CODM has restrictions that don't apply to all Hauptwerk ODFs.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 pm

The CODM allows widths between 1012 - 1600 px and heights between 640 - 1200 px so you can achieve 1400x900 within that range.

That's correct.

I don't know if you can specify outside this range with a full ODF, as I've never tries it, but sometimes by it's nature, the CODM has restrictions that don't apply to all Hauptwerk ODFs.

The full ODF format allows pixel dimensions from 380-999999, so it is for all purposes pretty much unlimited in the sizes you can create. Generally we'd recommend a minimum of 1024x768 for practical purposes, but depending on the console layout the full format can cater to a wide variety of displays including widescreens and rotated views. The CODM ranges should allow for this as well for most monitor resolutions.

Also in order to ensure that the organ can be displayed with a given monitor resolution, allow at least 110 pixels for the height of the title bar, menu bar, page tab bar, status bar and window borders in total. For example, if you wanted the organ to display with a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels, this value should be set no higher than 768 - 110 = 658.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

AndrewW

PostTue Sep 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Alan & Brett,

Many thanks to you both for the very rapid and comprehensive responses.

Just in case I'm being really dim here, I believe the steps to be performed are as follows:
- When a screen is mounted in Portrait Mode, then in Windows, the rotation means that a typical 15" screen becomes 768 pixels wide by 1024 high (I think I missed out this important step in my original question - for which my apologies).

- The CODM has a range of values for width (and height) that can be entered which may be larger than the actual number of pixels available on the display to be used.

- As long as the horizontal positions of stops,etc., that are defined using CODM are within the bounds of the actual number of pixels available (in this example, 768 for horizontal position) then the XML file that is compiled when Hauptwerk first loads the Custom Organ Definition File (creating the Native Organ Definition File) can be edited manually to set the CustomDisplay_ConsoleWidthPixels attribute to the correct setting (e.g. from whatever was set in CODM such as 1012, to the actual number of pixels available on the display to be used, in this example 768). If I understand correctly, then utilising a text editor to perform this straightforward edit on a Native ODF XML should not upset the related tables, etc.

Hopefully that captures it. For information, my proposed screen layouts would not include many of the thumb pistons & toe pistons since I have most of these on my physical console for divisional combination pistons, general combination pistons and couplers - hence I think that most stop jambs can be accommodated within dual 768 x (1024 - 110) displays. I've yet to prove it of course :)

Again many thanks for the response and for the tip on allowing 110 pixels in the vertical range for various Windows bars - the Hauptwerk forum is, as ever, really helpful.
Andrew

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Sep 15, 2009 5:05 pm

When a screen is mounted in Portrait Mode, then in Windows, the rotation means that a typical 15" screen becomes 768 pixels wide by 1024 high

Correct.

The CODM has a range of values for width (and height) that can be entered which may be larger than the actual number of pixels available on the display to be used.

Hauptwerk will load an organ which has a screen size larger than your monitor supports or is set to. It will just have the console off the right and bottom of the monitor so you can't really see it all. It used to be the case that Hauptwerk would not allow this and would cease loading an organ and report an error message, however that was changed a while ago and it does now allow any size resolution to be loaded.

As long as the horizontal positions of stops,etc., that are defined using CODM are within the bounds of the actual number of pixels available (in this example, 768 for horizontal position) then the XML file that is compiled when Hauptwerk first loads the Custom Organ Definition File (creating the Native Organ Definition File) can be edited manually to set the CustomDisplay_ConsoleWidthPixels attribute to the correct setting (e.g. from whatever was set in CODM such as 1012, to the actual number of pixels available on the display to be used, in this example 768). If I understand correctly, then utilising a text editor to perform this straightforward edit on a Native ODF XML should not upset the related tables, etc.

You can modify the resulting full ODF to be whatever pixels you wish using a text editor. But the original position of any images cannot exceed the width of 768 minus the width of the image itself (since it needs to begin from the upper left corner of an image for the pixel starting point). You probably want to give yourself a bit more than that as well otherwise it will be flush to the side of the page. Also be aware of any overall background image which will need to be adjusted for the new pixel dimensions e.g. if you have a background image of 1024x768 you will need to change that image to be 768x1024 (minus the mentioned 110 pixels for menus etc.)

Personally I would probably avoid all of this and just create the CODM version according to your final dimensions as long as it fits within the allowed range. This will save a bit of time and perhaps avoid any potential errors with image placement or graphic sizes. Is there a particular reason you want to do it that way first then change it later? Perhaps you don't want to work with a rotated monitor display while creating the file?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 2:27 am

Correction on my part to my last paragraph above. You wouldn't be able to use a width of 768 in the CODM since the ranges don't allow for that (sorry for that!). So, you can just follow the rest of the steps and it should be fine once you modify a full ODF with the new dimensions.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

AndrewW

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Brett,

Many thanks for your help on this - nothing seems to be impossible with this Hauptwerk software!

Andrew

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)