It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

CODM... how to get started.

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

OPUS1883

CODM... how to get started.

PostSun Oct 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi. I am trying to get started in creating a 17 rank theatre organ... i have copied the example organ1 in the CODM folder, and re-named it. I am now left with my newly named folder with the st. anne mosely organ inside the folder. Can anyone tell me what is the best way / easiest way to begin to create a new theatre organ CODM. I have read through the CODM manual over and over, but there is so much to take in and i find it a little un-clear about how to actually get the CODM started off... Sorry if i seem a little thick, but i'm sure once i get going i will be ok. Is there an example of a theatre organ CODM anywhere... ?

Many thanks,

Chris

mdyde

Re: CODM... how to get started.

PostMon Oct 12, 2009 5:24 am

Hello Chris,

You might want to start by having a look at the ExampleCustomOrgan2.CustomOrgan.Hauptwerk.xml file. That example is intentionally more complex to demonstrate many of the features found in theatre organs (unification, pizzicato, etc.).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

OPUS1883

PostMon Oct 12, 2009 11:33 am

When trying to create an organ, i'm not sure if i'm in the correct section. Is keeps saying in the instruction manual that creating an organ in the CODM is simple, yet all i see in the folders is a load of text, that i have no idea about... and i'm not sure where to even begin. If i look in the sample set folder, it looks nothing like the text in the CODM folder... i'm totally lost ? ? ? i can't really work out where to begin creating an organ... i must be missing something, but the CODM manual explains to me all of the things you can do with a custom organ, but that's all about i can see there... i will have another go tonight, as i was pretty tired last night, but i have pretty much read the whole manual three times. I just don't want to go about it the wrong way, and find that there was an easier way and i've done it wrong.

Many thanks,

Chris

mdyde

PostMon Oct 12, 2009 11:50 am

Hello Chris,

Very broadly:

The

Hauptwerk\HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents\OrganInstallationPackages

... folder contains the binary data for sample sets (pipe samples, tremulant waveform samples, images) and the

\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkUserData\CustomOrganDefinitions

... folder contains your CODM 'organ definition files' (ODFs). An ODF is a text (XML) file that describes all the details that Hauptwerk needs to know in order to be able to load the organ (stops, couplers, keyboards, ranks, etc. and how they all connect together), and it's the CODM ODF format that's the main subject of the CODM user's guide.
Best regards, Martin.

Arp

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

... folder contains your CODM 'organ definition files' (ODFs). An ODF is a text (XML) file that describes all the details that Hauptwerk needs to know in order to be able to load the organ (stops, couplers, keyboards, ranks, etc. and how they all connect together), and it's the CODM ODF format that's the main subject of the CODM user's guide.[/quote]

I decided to try to edit the sample sets. I studied the manual of CODM and I read all the posts of the specific forum. However there are some issues that do not understand.
What are the basic steps to follow at the beginning of the work? I mean: I have to work on .XML or .COD files?
When I try to open DesingTools / Browse / edit / rename / delete custom organs, it opens a window of explorer (or Finder in Mac) with the choice of files to open and edit. I tried it with WordPad and Notepad ++, but it all seems extremely difficult.
Should I work on a .COD files?
How do you convert the XML format in COD?
The .organ_Hauptwerk_xml format is an XML format?
Maybe I have to use a specific program?
Brett & Martin, you can write a book "for dummies" ?
if you can help me I'll appreciate

josq

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 11:36 am

Arp wrote: but it all seems extremely difficult.

It is. The CODM is way easier than the standard ODF format, but nevertheless the learning curve is steep. And once you have mastered it, it remains a very time-consuming business.

So what`s your initial goal and how many evenings of frustration are you willing to dedicate to reach that goal? :oops:

I might post some suggestions later, if I have time and if you still appreciate...

Arp

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 12:37 pm

josq wrote:

So what`s your initial goal and how many evenings of frustration are you willing to dedicate to reach that goal? :oops:
I might post some suggestions later, if I have time and if you still appreciate...

My first goal is to add a Kromhoorn 8' from Rotterdam to pedal division of Zlata Koruna.
Also I would like to learn, just to satisfy my curiosity.
I have a lot of patience and I really appreciate your help.
Thanks

mdyde

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Hello Arp,

I would suggest starting by having a read through the CODM user's guide, which can be found on the Help menu in Hauptwerk. It covers all of the key concepts. The CODM is effectively a programming language for creating organ definitions (XML files) from scratch, so it is reasonably technical in nature.
Best regards, Martin.

Arp

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Arp wrote:
josq wrote:

My first goal is to add a Kromhoorn 8' from Rotterdam to pedal division of Zlata Koruna.
Also I would like to learn, just to satisfy my curiosity.
I have a lot of patience and I really appreciate your help.
Thanks

... if you have time

josq

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 1:13 pm

I see. It is certainly not a matter of adding a single paragraph to an existing code, but rather, as Martin indicated, you have to start from scratch.

But to give you a start:
*have you found the CODM user guide? https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads ... rGuide.pdf
*Then, have you been able to follow the steps on page 4?

If so, then the next steps are
*Can you locate, amongst others, the rank and the stop tables? Can you make guesses which entry in the tables belongs to which items?
*Try to remove one stop from the stop table of the copied&renamed&edited .CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml file (don't edit the original) . You need to remove the entire entry for that specific stop, including all its attributes. Are you able to load the custom organ again? And do you see the stop removed from the screen?
*Try to add a Kromhoorn stop to the stop table: copy an entire existing stop table entry, rename to "Kromhoorn", label it as "Kromhoorn 8", specify new screen coordinates and reload the custom organ. Does the Kromhoorn stop appear on the expected position?
*The Kromhoorn stop will be mute. You need to add an entry in the rank table to load the sound files from the Rotterdam sample set folders, and you need a stoprank entry to connect the rank (sound files) to the stop.

I guess it will be weekend before you arrive at the last step, which actually demands a bit more explanation. And probably you will get confused earlier, but you appear to be quite committed :)

scottherbert

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 10:24 am

I wish it was possible to work on CODM on a different computer than the one I have my Hauptwerk on. It would be far more comfortable to work on it on my laptop while lying in bed than sitting at the console! :wink:

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

mdyde

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Hello Scott,

Hauptwerk licences aren't computer-specific, so you can install Hauptwerk on as many computers as you like; just make sure that the Hauptwerk USB key is attached to whichever computer is actually running Hauptwerk at that moment in time.
Best regards, Martin.

scottherbert

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Oooooooh COOOL, thanks Martin dude!!!! Had I known, I would have started this long ago! :D

~Scott

Ahem. Forgive the exhuberance, Mr Dyde. :wink:
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

dhm

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 2:35 am

You don't actually need to be at your HW computer to work on editing a CODM file.
Copy all the files you are going to need (e.g. USB stick), and work on them elsewhere.
Then transfer the newly-edited file back to HW.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Arp

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 3:16 am

dhm wrote:You don't actually need to be at your HW computer to work on editing a CODM file.
Copy all the files you are going to need (e.g. USB stick), and work on them elsewhere.
Then transfer the newly-edited file back to HW.

I almost made the creation of a new set, how can I do to share the new program with other users? I have to turn it in .rar ? in Hauptwerk I did not find the option to do so, I have to do it with an external program (winrar) and which folders should I compress?
thanks
Next

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)