It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

A Wet CODM?

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

CHRIS 037

A Wet CODM?

PostWed Nov 11, 2009 10:08 am

Hi,

If I worked up a CODM of a very wet organ, such as the Caen CC, would the multiple loops and releases still work as they should?

Another question: when the reverb tails are set to a fraction of a second on such a wet set, does that mess up the multiple release situation? Is it even needed on a trimmed-tail output?

Thanks,

Leo Chris.

mdyde

Re: A Wet CODM?

PostWed Nov 11, 2009 10:34 am

Hello Leo,

The CODM doesn't currently support multiple release samples (although we have that logged as an enhancement request for the future), so if you make a CODM organ that uses ranks from a multi-release sample set then only the default releases would be used (the same effect as disabling multiple releases for a rank on the Hauptwerk rank options screen).

However, multiple loops should work normally.

Another question: when the reverb tails are set to a fraction of a second on such a wet set, does that mess up the multiple release situation? Is it even needed on a trimmed-tail output?

If you use release sample truncation, then multiple release samples probably wouldn't make much difference anyway.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

CHRIS 037

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi Martin,

It's now 5-6 years after my previous question. I know a lot has changed, so I want to ask again about using wet samples with multiple releases in a CODM.

I see that there is now a provision to use up to two release samples with HW v 4.x. I have tried that and it does work fine with the big wet Hereford organ set which uses two release folders per rank.

But, when I try to add some ranks from either the Caen surround or Zwolle surround (using just the wet samples) it won't work out right. I do get the pipes to play. There are three release folders per rank. I set the CODM to use two of those. The short release does work. But if I hold the note longer than the short time, the sample just plays with no release at all. It just goes full volume until it reaches the end of the regular file.

Is there a way for me to use these Sonus Paradisi samples, or is there some quirk in their make-up that will prevent it?

Thanks,
Leo Chris. :)

mdyde

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 5:33 am

Hello Leo,

Note that the Hauptwerk v4+ CODM actually supports *three* release samples per pipe:

- The default one (legato), which is specified by Samples_RelSampleFileFolderIfRelSamplesStoredInSeparateFiles (if non-blank, otherwise Hauptwerk will expect to find the releases and associated WAV cue points in the attack/sustain samples in the folder specified by Samples_MainSampleFileFolder).

- Samples_ShortNoteReleaseSampleFileFolderIfAny (Samples_MaxNoteTimeMsForShortNoteReleaseSamplesIfAny determines when it will be used).

- Samples_Samples_MediumNoteReleaseSampleFileFolderIfAny (Samples_MaxNoteTimeMsForMediumNoteReleaseSamplesIfAny determines when it will be used).

The v4 CODM was designed and tested for compatibility with Sonus Paradisi sample sets for v4.0.0 (and v4.1.0, if I recall correctly), so it definitely works properly with them in general, although I can't remember off-hand whether the two sample sets you mention existed at the time and were tested specifically.

All of the (Hauptwerk v2+) Sonus Paradisi sample sets that I've seen have their default releases in a separate folder from their main attack/sustain samples, so it's important to use Samples_RelSampleFileFolderIfRelSamplesStoredInSeparateFiles for them. Could that explain it?
Best regards, Martin.

CHRIS 037

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 10:09 am

Ok, thanks, Martin.

I didn't realize that I needed to put the 'default' releases (rel99999) in for the first line of release folders. Now I am getting the proper functions, I think. Although, I notice a certain amount of 'echo' and repeating in the reverb trail. Maybe that is just in the few ranks I've tried so far, but it doesn't pose much of a problem especially when more than one rank is playing (the usual situation). The echo must be in the samples.

However, I find a different situation with the wet (v 2.5) Zwolle samples. It turns out that this set is protected. So the main samples have the .hbw ending. But all of the release samples still have the .wav extensions. When I try to load such a rank, I get an error since HW can't find the first 036-C.hbw file in the release folder. I tried changing the extension to .hbw from .wav and then that pipe release loaded, but then the error was for 037-C#.hbw.

It may be the fault of Sonus Paradisi for not updating these file extensions? Perhaps I could do a batch (or by hand---shudder) conversion to .hbw? But that's a whole lot of converting to do. And I still don't know for certain that it would actually work right. What do you think?

Thanks again!!! :D
Leo Chris.

I'll probably just stick to the Hereford and Caen organs for now.

mdyde

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 10:50 am

Hello Leo,

I've sent a work-around to you by email for those particular partly-encrypted Sonus Paradisi Zwolle ranks.
Best regards, Martin.

CHRIS 037

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 am

Many thanks, Martin,

I'll look into your info.

Leo Chris. :)

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)