It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am

Original and Extended divisions in same CODM

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Original and Extended divisions in same CODM

PostSat Dec 19, 2009 3:17 am

Hi,
I'm in the middle of re-defining an Original and an Extended view of the Stiehr Mockers organ console. Assigning the Stops and Couplers is easy, but setting up the different manuals has me scratching my head. The original console has a Great and Swell of 54 notes and a Pedal of 27 notes. The extended one has a Great and Swell at 61 notes and the Pedal at 30. Is it possible to create two different views of the same division? As far as I can see, there is only one setting for the number of notes in a division definition... or have I completely missed something?
GrahamG

mdyde

Re: Original and Extended divisions in same CODM

PostSat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 am

Hello Graham,

I think you could probably do that within the CODM ODF format by creating two full sets of Division objects - make the 61/30-compass Gt, Sw + Ped the primary divisions, attach the stops/pipework to those, and give them the standard division codes (1, 2 and 3, so that they get mapped by Hauptwerk as the default keyboards). Then create another set of 54/27-compass divisions with no stops/pipework attached and using the 'non-standard division code' range (8, 9, 10). Create one custom coupler object (use the 'custom coupler' code range, i.e. CouplerCode=10000 for the Pedal-Pedal coupler, 10010 for the Gt-Gt, 10020 for the Sw-Sw) for each of the non-standard divisions to link it to its corresponding standard division with:

DefaultToEngaged=Y
SwitchIsLatching=Y
StoreInDivisionalCombinations=N
StoreInGeneralCombinations=N
AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput=N
OverrideSourceDivisionToSpecifiedDivisionCode=<the division code of the 54/27-compass division>
OverrideDestDivisionToSpecifiedDivisionCode=<the division code of the corresponding 61/30-compass division>
CoupleDestinationKeyboardRatherThanKeyAction=Y

I haven't tried making a test example, so I might have overlooked something, but I think that approach should work.

The users could then choose to play (map to) whichever set of keyboards they preferred, according to whether they wanted 61/30 or 54/27 compasses. You could display the different compasses on different screen tabs.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ggoode_sa

PostSat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks Martin, I'll give that a try. Would this be easier using the MySQL interface?
GrahamG

mdyde

PostSat Dec 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks, Graham.

Would this be easier using the MySQL interface?

It's probably easier staying within the CODM format.
Best regards, Martin.

ggoode_sa

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 6:14 am

Hi Martin,
This works very well for the on-screen keyboards. It seems that (when using the default MIDI options) one can play all extended 32 notes of the Pedal and 61 notes of the G.O/Pos when using the Midi Keyboards. The manual keys on the screen only go up to 090-F, but playing notes higher than this still works as it is a pure coupling back to the extended keyboard. Of course, this can be adjusted in the settings, so it's not a major issue :-)
Thanks again,
GrahamG

mdyde

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 6:35 am

Thanks, Graham.

No problem.

but playing notes higher than this still works as it is a pure coupling back to the extended keyboard.

Are you sure you had connected your MIDI input *only* to the non-extended version of the MIDI keyboard ('Organ settings | Connect keyboard MIDI inputs to organ keyboards' screen)? Also check that you don't accidentally have a re-directable keyboard input connected simultaneously to the extended version.

I haven't actually tried my suggested method, but just had a very quick look in the Hauptwerk source code, and it looks like the CODM compiler should only couple the number of keys that are present on the 'source' (non-extended) keyboard (i.e. set KeyAction.NumberOfKeys to that in the compiled ODF), hence I don't think the additional extended keys should play by MIDI as long as the user has his/her MIDI keyboard connected *only* to the non-extended keyboard.
Best regards, Martin.

ggoode_sa

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 6:49 am

Yup, you're right! I did have the keyboards connected to both... configuring them 'just' to the original manuals sorts this out.
Thanks!

kiwiplant

PostWed Dec 23, 2009 7:30 am

The new Trost organ has switches on one of the organ screens to activate some of the extended features. Not sure how it is done, but it is pretty nifty how it works without having to reload the organ.

Paul

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)