It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

Success, but...

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

megafisc2

Success, but...

PostFri Jan 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Well, the custom organ works fine. However, I have discovered a few really bad samples. The pipes sound like they were sampled off-pitch. For example, in the compenius set, Trumpet8 notes 044-G#, 047-B and 053-F are all too far pitch to tune in Hauptwerk. Since these are protected, I cannot easily just edit the wav files (that I know of).

I have found 17 such notes in the small (20 stop) organ that I have created.

Help!

bcollins

Re: Success, but...

PostFri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Mark,
check the following parameters for each rank:

Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp = N
Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch = null
Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 8 (for 8' pitch rank)
Pitch_MaxRandomTuningErrorHz = 0 (start with 0, adjust later if desired)
Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum036_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones = 0
Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum096_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones = 0

Load the organ in equal temperament and see if that changes anything
Bob Collins

megafisc2

PostSat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks, Bob. I will give that a try later today. I had indicated Y for "Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp" for all ranks.

megafisc2

PostMon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Now that the finish work is done, I'm back to my CODM file. Bob, I tried what you had suggested. The result was that I got every-other-not playing. I changed the Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp back to Y and put the pitch levels back. I still have the same problems - select notes are totally off-pitch.

I'm using the compenious set for this job. The only reason I'm not just using Oberwerk is because 1) I'm on a MAC and 2) I need sub and super couplers.

Any ideas??

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Hello Mark,

The Compenius samples were recorded by a third party other than us (Dr. Yves Petic-Clerc) . Oberwerk generated files have the pitch settings as follows:

<Pitch_OriginalOrgan_SpecificationMethodCode>2</Pitch_OriginalOrgan_SpecificationMethodCode>

Try that code (2) and see if that helps.

If not, can you give me an example of some of the sample files in question so that I may have a look at them here?

If you are getting audio from every other note then most likely you have your audio group output assignments set up incorrectly or your audio interface is not properly configured to allocate the given channels according to the scheme you have chosen. That is what affects which notes come from which channels, not the pitch settings.

I hope that helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

bcollins

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 am

Mark, I too would be happy to take a quick look at your CODM file. Is it the one you posted in another thread?
I could look at it tomorrow evening. I'm a little busy tomorrow stripping paint off the old Allen. Why someone would cover beautiful American Walnut with yellowed white paint - in order to make it "Colonial" is beyond me.
http://zionorgan.com/temp/Allen903%20Co ... G_9324.JPG
Bob Collins

megafisc2

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 am

Thank you both. Everything is fixed except the top octave of the 2' Oktav and Narrow Principal have problems. D#, E, F and F# are all one note off. I certainly understand that the problem could be with the samples themselves and not on the CODM file or Hauptwerk. Couldn't I just edit the file names for the smaples that are off by one. The problem there is that I have no sample that plays a D# pitch and two samples that play a G.

Bob, That was the problem file but I soon discovered that I started with an older version and had to fix it a bit.

Have fun stripping. What stripper do you use?

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 pm

bcollins wrote:Mark, I too would be happy to take a quick look at your CODM file. Is it the one you posted in another thread?
I could look at it tomorrow evening. I'm a little busy tomorrow stripping paint off the old Allen. Why someone would cover beautiful American Walnut with yellowed white paint - in order to make it "Colonial" is beyond me.
http://zionorgan.com/temp/Allen903%20Co ... G_9324.JPG

I too have a very nice Colonial console made by Klann. I've been wondering what kind of wood it's made out of and if it could be stripped to reveal a nice stainable wood. Mine has more white on the top than yours. The lid, end top caps, etc. are stained, but the heart of the console is painted. I suspect it's Birch or such that wouldn't stain very well. I suppose I could ask Klann to see if they use a specific wood in such a style.

Eric

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Thank you both. Everything is fixed except the top octave of the 2' Oktav and Narrow Principal have problems. D#, E, F and F# are all one note off. I certainly understand that the problem could be with the samples themselves and not on the CODM file or Hauptwerk. Couldn't I just edit the file names for the smaples that are off by one. The problem there is that I have no sample that plays a D# pitch and two samples that play a G.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for that information. I can confirm those notes seem to have problems as I can reproduce the same thing here with a file created directly from Oberwerk for those two ranks. Thus it would appear that the samples need to be fixed. I will need to create a fix then issue a patch. I will try to do this as soon as time permits.

Sorry for the issues. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to find considering Oberwerk has been out since 2006!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

bcollins

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Leave it to an organ tech to test the top octave...
Bob Collins

megafisc2

PostWed Feb 03, 2010 1:57 pm

How true!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Hello Mark and other Oberwerk/Compenius users,

I've created a patch for the 8 notes in question. You can download it here.

Install the patch using the Hauptwerk installer as usual.

I will have the main Downloads area of the MDA website updated accordingly soon with the information about the patch.

Thank you and sorry again for the incorrect notes!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

megafisc2

PostWed Feb 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks, Brett!

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)