It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

Stop Name Display

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ns_organist

Stop Name Display

PostSat Jan 30, 2010 1:08 am

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make my stops display with text similar to a commercial virtual console - that is with the name on the top portion (using rocker tabs), and the height on the bottom portion, preferably in larger font. Is there a way within the <DisplayName> attribute to:

1) Trigger a line feed/carriage return within the name - for example - Stop name: Flute a Bec - I don't want "Flute a" on one line, and "Bec" on the second, or "Flute" on the first line, and "a bec" on the second - I'd like "Flute","a","Bec" to take three lines, with the text centered on each line. I've tried the 'LF' - xml line feed, but I can't figure out how to mark the line feed character within the <DisplayName> attribute so XML recognizes it as a line feed, and doesn't display the 'LF' in the middle of the stop name.

2) Change fonts/sizes within the name (or even bold part of the name, or in this case, the height), so the height can be slightly larger, and (using wingdings or something like that) display a fraction as a fraction - not as 2/3 - I want (in this example) the '2' to be above the '3' with the line in between, not all on the same line, which appears to be the default way of displaying.

I know I can define a CustomDisplayStyle unique to each stop, and design a stop tab with the name and height printed directly on the image, and leave out the <DisplayName> attribute all together, but if possible, I'd prefer not to create 50+ CustomDisplayStyles...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin

mdyde

Re: Stop Name Display

PostSat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 am

Hello Kevin,

1) Trigger a line feed/carriage return within the name - for example - Stop name: Flute a Bec - I don't want "Flute a" on one line, and "Bec" on the second, or "Flute" on the first line, and "a bec" on the second - I'd like "Flute","a","Bec" to take three lines, with the text centered on each line. I've tried the 'LF' - xml line feed, but I can't figure out how to mark the line feed character within the <DisplayName> attribute so XML recognizes it as a line feed, and doesn't display the 'LF' in the middle of the stop name.

2) Change fonts/sizes within the name (or even bold part of the name, or in this case, the height), so the height can be slightly larger, and (using wingdings or something like that) display a fraction as a fraction - not as 2/3 - I want (in this example) the '2' to be above the '3' with the line in between, not all on the same line, which appears to be the default way of displaying.

Neither of those things are currently natively provided for within the CODM, I'm afraid (being designed to try to strike a balance between ease/speed of use and flexibility).

However, for 1) you could try inserting multiple space characters in a DisplayName attribute to push/wrap the remainder of the text onto the next line, and/or inserting a physical line-feed character in the XML file (i.e. just press RETURN in the middle when typing the name in your text editor), or inserting tab characters directly. Be aware that the results and wrapping might vary slightly between platforms due to differences in font metrics (e.g. even between different Windows versions).

I know I can define a CustomDisplayStyle unique to each stop, and design a stop tab with the name and height printed directly on the image, and leave out the <DisplayName> attribute all together, but if possible, I'd prefer not to create 50+ CustomDisplayStyles...

Apart from using or editing the full compiled (non-CODM) organ definition format, creating a pair of images for each stop is the only way you would be able to use multiple fonts and have absolute control over text positioning on each individual stop tab/draw-knob.

Hence my recommendation would be to create per-stop images. It's a little tedious, but then you can achieve exactly the results you want, pixel-for-pixel, and there won't be any variation at all between platforms. Most sample set producers chose that option for the same reasons (even though it is possible to use multiple fonts etc. in the full organ definition format).

One thing to bear in mind if using images (which also largely applies if splitting a label into parts with different fonts, as possible in the full organ definition format) is that it might make it more difficult for blind organists to use the resulting organ, since screen-reader software may not be able to read out the stop names.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostSat Jan 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi Kevin

Using the CODM with the default font, I found that typing the word, then adding spaces to make a total of about 21 characters before typing the next word, caused the words to be centralised and on separate lines of the stop.

Graham

ns_organist

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks Graham and Martin -

The RETURN within the name tag accomplished just what I wanted (with the exception of the font change). It makes a big difference in the ease of reading the stop names. Thanks again!

Kevin

Morse

PostTue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 am

It's easy to put multiple lines in CODM stop and coupler text. There are xml codes that do various special things. Just add the characters "&#xA;" where the line break is to be made. For example, a simple stop name on two lines becomes "TROMPETTE&#xA;8". A three line label becomes, for example, "FLUTE&#xA;HARMONIQUE&#xA;8".

The lines are automatically centered without adding extra spaces by trial and error.
Al Morse

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)