It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Noises not responding to stop controls

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ns_organist

Noises not responding to stop controls

PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Hello everyone,

After a few days of loading, re-loading, and adjusting, my first fully complete CODM is up and running, but I have one problem:

When defining the ranks/divisions and stops, I choose to assign each of the standard (St. Anne's) noises to stops, that I could then turn the sounds on and off at will, without having to re-load the organ. I defined a new division strickly for noises, and assigned each rank (attributes copied directly from St. Anne's sample CODM #2) to an appropriate stop code (and set the DefaultToEngaged to 'Y'), and loaded the organ.

Once loaded, all noises (key action, stop action and tremulant noise) are on and working (with the exception of the blower - no sound yet, but I'm still trying to figure our why I have no sound there...), but none of the sounds turn off when I turn off the stop (the stop does change state, and uses the 'off' image, but the sound is still there). All other stops, couplers are working properly, and all other ranks are outputing sounds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

mdyde

Re: Noises not responding to stop controls

PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Hello Kevin,

I'm not sure I fully understand from your post how you're trying to implement it, but although the CODM supports stop and action noises, it doesn't have any native facility to allow them to be disabled/enabled in real-time. Hence I don't think you would be able to do that within the CODM alone (you would have to use or edit the 'full' ODF format instead of the CODM). When the CODM compiles stop action noises it links them directly to the noise 'pipes', so also making a dummy stop or division for them shouldn't make any difference, i.e. it wouldn't bypass that generated linkages.

The intention within the CODM was to keep it reasonably easy to use, and people could just choose not to load the noise 'ranks' if they didn't want them. Hence my advice would be to stick with that approach for simplicity.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ns_organist

PostSun Feb 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply - just to clarify, what I'm trying to accomplish is very similar to the St. Annes CODM sample #2 organ - this one has the stop for the blower noise, which can be turned off once the organ is loaded. I was trying to accomplish this same type of thing for the blower, stop, keyboard and tremulant noises. If it can't be done, that's no problem - I just wanted to reply to clarify what I was trying to do.

Thanks,
Kevin

mdyde

PostMon Feb 08, 2010 5:37 am

Hello Kevin,

Yes - I'm afraid it can't be done with stop action noises (I can't think of a way, at least). The blower noise is a special case because it's a constant sustaining sound, so can be implemented as a normal stop using:

Stop.SustainingSoundEffect_RankID
Stop.SustainingSoundEffect_MIDINoteNumber
Stop.SwitchIsLatching = Y
Stop.DefaultToEngaged = Y (optional)

You could actually probably implement a real-time switch to turn key action noises on/off by putting the key action noises on a separate internal (non-displayed) division and making a coupler to that division. Whether the key action noises were heard would then depend on whether the coupler was on.

Summary: you implement real-time switches for the blower noise and key action noises, but not stop action noises.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)