It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

Loss of voicing on recompiling CODM xml file

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Gedakt

Loss of voicing on recompiling CODM xml file

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Hello other CODM experimenters,

After making minor changes to a St Anne's (all frills) No 6 example CODM file (I make many of these adjustments, particularly to the enclosure filter characteristics) I find that after the recompiling process, all my voicing adjustments have been replaced with the defaults. I always use the same custom organ number, being one I have chosen and which is exclusive of those already in use.

Is this inevitable or am I doing something wrong? In other words, is there a way of preserving voicing adjustments following changes to a CODM .xml file?

Regards,

Max.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Loss of voicing on recompiling CODM xml file

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Hello Max,

If you have properly added a unique organ ID then the voicing adjustments any any other custom modifications you change should be retained.

How are you modifying the example no. 6 CODM file? Did you first copy it to a new file then edit that resulting file or are you editing the original file?

By default the original example 6 all frills unique ID is :

<UniqueOrganID>800005</UniqueOrganID>

Have you changed this to an ID not in use by any other existing CODM files? If not then you need to do so otherwise loading any other organ with a similar ID will overwrite the settings for the one you worked on if it used the same ID.

It's probably best to begin with the unique ID of 899999 which is not in use with the provided CODM files, then for each new file you create decrement that number by one, this way you are safe in not overwriting any existing IDs since this range is much higher and allows very many files to be created. Or feel free to check the existing IDs for all CODM example files then begin with a number above those and go upwards for newer files that you may create if that is easier for you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gedakt

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I commenced a couple of weeks ago by editing the original file and then used "Save As" with a different filename. But before this original saving I also changed the unique organ ID to 800300 which is the ID I've been using since for all my versions. But when I finally load the newly compiled file (after the customary wait!) from my saved xml file I find the voicing always reverts to default. Everything else is OK including the combination files. This of course means that I have to re-voice the organ every time I make a minor change to my own uniquely named and ID'd xml file.

The recompiled version still bears the original name "ExampleCustomOrgan6-StAnnesWithAllFrills". Could this be where the problem lies?

Regards,

Max

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Hello Max,

I just tested the same file using an ID of 800300 and then loaded the organ and made voicing adjustments. I closed Hauptwerk, then opened it again and reloaded the same organ and the voicings were retained.

It's best to name your file with a different file name, although not mandatory (mainly so that you always have the original backed up in case you eventually make an error and cannot get the file to load at all, then you will have a working reference version to consult if need be).

Try these steps as follows:

1- Make sure Hauptwerk is not running the organ in question

2- Open the file you want to edit in whichever xml editor you are using and verify the organ ID is unique (800300 for example). Save the file with a new file name so that you will know it is your custom file.

3- Launch Hauptwerk then load the organ using Design Tools | Load Custom Organ

4- Once loaded go to the voicing screens and adjust the settings as required.

4- Close Hauptwerk

5- Launch Hauptwerk again, go to Organ | Load recent organ then choose the same organ you just loaded, it should load then you can check the voicing screens and your settings should still be there.

6. Close Hauptwerk, then create a copy of that previously saved CODM .xml file that you just loaded giving it a new and different name then load it in your xml editor. Change it to yet another new and unique ID then save making sure the file name is different than the last.

7- Open this new file in Hauptwerk and it should be a fresh clean file with no voicings set.

8- Launch the previous organ 800300 again that you saved your voicings with, those voicings should now still be there from the last time it was loaded.

If you follow those steps does that help an allow you to create various files and maintain voicings separately for each?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gedakt

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi again Brett,

B. Milan wrote:I just tested the same file using an ID of 800300 and then loaded the organ and made voicing adjustments. I closed Hauptwerk, then opened it again and reloaded the same organ and the voicings were retained.

It is when you perform the function as you describe, but then edit the same xml file, then load once again that I find the voicing disappears. I can certainly retain voicing on a simple close-down and reload of my 800300 file. It is only when I further edit the file that the voicing disappears. Sorry if I was not clear on that point.

Regards,

Max

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Hello Max,

Can you let me know what changes you are making and also how you are loading the organ (which menu options) after having saved those changes?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Gedakt

PostTue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi Brett,

Sorry you are spending so much time on this. This is my procedure -

1) Run Hauptwerk

2) Using "Organ" & "Load Organ", load "ExampleCustomOrgan6-StAnnesWithAllFrills". (This loads my 800300 version with last played voicings - provided xml file has not been edited since the last voicing.)

3) In C:Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUserData/CustomOrganDefinitions, edit the file entitled "ExampleCustomOrgan7-StAnnes-JMA4.xml" using XML editor. (For example, edit only one parameter of the enclosure characteristics of a rank in the Swell.)

4) Save the xml file (same name & UniqueOrganID as before.)

5) Re-start Hauptwerk and load "ExampleCustomOrgan7-StAnnes-JMA4" via "Design tools" & "Load custom organ" menu.

6) Load (recompile) "ExampleCustomOrgan6-StAnnesWithAllFrills"via "Organ" menu. (The change to the Swell rank enclosure setting will be evident but all voicing will have returned to default.)

I hope this is clear enough.

Kind regards,

Max

mdyde

PostWed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 am

Hello Max,

On the 'Load Organ Design Options' screen (which appears when you select 'Design tools | Load custom organ' from the menu), make sure that you don't have the option ticked to reset the voicing (or the option to reset general options).

My guess is that you just have that option ticked.

Note that if you change any parameters in your CODM file that affect ranks (adding ranks, removing ranks or changing their compasses) then you do need to have the option ticked to reset the voicing, otherwise voicing that was previously saved for one pipe might incorrectly be applied to a different pipe.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Gedakt

PostWed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello Martin,

My face is really red over this one! Yes, of course - the "reset all stored voicing" box was checked and this was causing the problem.

My only (weak) defense is that re-setting the voicing appears to be the default so it would have taken a positive step on my part to prevent it from occurring. Perhaps you could confirm this as I suppose it is possible that I ticked the box by accident. I certainly cannot recall doing so as I have the policy of leaving these parameters well alone until I become more familiar with the CODM system. It also appears to be a global parameter and if checked for one CODM example file it will remain that way for all others until unchecked.

As I admit, a pretty lame excuse.

Thanks to you and Brett for your help and apologies for wasting your time.

Kind regards,

Max.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Hello Max,

No problem!

Yes - the 'reset voicing' option on the screen is ticked by default (for maximum safety, since Hauptwerk has no way of knowing what changes you might have made in your ODF and whether they might make any existing stored voicing inappropriate/invalid).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Gedakt

PostWed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks once again Martin,

Your message received and the reason for the default is understood.

mdyde wrote:Yes - the 'reset voicing' option on the screen is ticked by default (for maximum safety, since Hauptwerk has no way of knowing what changes you might have made in your ODF and whether they might make any existing stored voicing inappropriate/invalid).

Kind regards,

Max

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)