It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

Using Sampled Trems and the CODM

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Using Sampled Trems and the CODM

PostFri May 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi,
I've been thinking about customizing the Paramount 320 using the CODM and have not yet got clear in my mind how to deal with the sampled Trems... I know that they will be setup as a different rank to the non-tremmed rank, but then how do I change between non-trem and trem? Has anyone done this yet? (Or should I go and study the CODM PDF again!).

Any insight would be appreciated ;)

GrahamG

ggoode_sa

Re: Using Sampled Trems and the CODM

PostFri May 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi again,

I knew that I had once read something like this in the manual, so I went seaching again and found a few things...

In the StopRank definition one can define the StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank, RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks, and AlternateRankID, so that explains the link between the non-trem rank and the trem rank definitions.

Now in the first section of the manual there is this to ponder:
"You then need a Stop entry (not a Tremulant entry) to define the switch that will be used to switch between the untremmed and tremmed ranks, i.e. the switch that the user will see as the virtual tremulant switch, even though it is actually an entry in the Stop table."

So this would be the "StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank"... e.g. the same Stop code for all the Main Ranks.

For a thought example - let's take the Clarinet... I need a rank defintion for the non-trem samples, a rank definition for the tremmed samples, a Stop definition for where the Rank shows on the Console, a Stop definition for the Trem Switch, and then one StopRank definition to bind them all together?

I think I'm beginning to see the light...

GrahamG

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri May 28, 2010 8:57 pm

For a thought example - let's take the Clarinet... I need a rank defintion for the non-trem samples, a rank definition for the tremmed samples, a Stop definition for where the Rank shows on the Console, a Stop definition for the Trem Switch, and then one StopRank definition to bind them all together?

Hello Graham,

That's correct. Since this method wouldn't be utilizing Hauptwerk's tremulant model, rather simply switching between two sets of samples (tremmed and untremmed of which Hauptwerk doesn't really know *what* they are, just that they are two different ranks) only the rank, stoprank and stop settings are used and the tremulant switch which acts as the trigger to perform the switch.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wurlitzerwilly

PostSat May 29, 2010 5:54 am

ggoode_sa wrote:Hi,
I've been thinking about customizing the Paramount 320 using the CODM and have not yet got clear in my mind how to deal with the sampled Trems... I know that they will be setup as a different rank to the non-tremmed rank, but then how do I change between non-trem and trem? Has anyone done this yet? (Or should I go and study the CODM PDF again!).

Any insight would be appreciated ;)

GrahamG

Hello Graham.

Thank you for purchasing the Paramount 320.

Here is a typical StopRank table entry in CODM format that should help you:

<stoprank>
<Name>Gt: Open Diapason 8</Name>
<StopCode>2218</StopCode>
<RankTypeCode>1</RankTypeCode>
<RankID>21</RankID>
<ExternalRankID></ExternalRankID>
<MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>0</MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>
<MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>24</MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>
<NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys>85</NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys>
<ActionTypeCode>1</ActionTypeCode>
<ActionEffectCode>1</ActionEffectCode>
<PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>0</PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>0</PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>2651</StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>
<RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>N</RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>
<AlternateRankID>521</AlternateRankID>
<AlternateExternalRankID></AlternateExternalRankID>
</stoprank>

Note that Rank 21 is the untremmed rank and rank 521 is the tremmed rank.
The StopCode 2651 is the Solo Tremulant STOP number, which is used for ALL Solo Tremulants.

This is only one possible example. As you will be writing your own Custom Definition, you may assign any numbers to Ranks, Stops and Tremulants that you wish, as long as you stay within the confines dictated by Hauptwerk for numbers, which are listed in the appropriate tables in the CODM manual.

Before you embark on a lengthy Custom Definition, do bear in mind that you will lose some facilities along the way.
For example, you will lose the Piano Sustain and will not be able to handle it using the CODM.

Due to the way that we have re-iterated the Xylophone and Glock, you would need TWO StopRank entries. Here is another example:

<stoprank>
<Name>Gt: Xylophone</Name>
<StopCode>2247</StopCode>
<RankID>28</RankID>
<MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>12</MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>
<MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>60</MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>
<ActionEffectCode>1</ActionEffectCode>
<PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>0</PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>0</PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>2656</StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>
<RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>N</RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>
<AlternateRankID>84</AlternateRankID>
</stoprank>

<stoprank>
<Name>Gt: Xylo Re-It</Name>
<StopCode>2247</StopCode>
<RankID>84</RankID>
<MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>12</MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>
<MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>60</MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>
<ActionEffectCode>4</ActionEffectCode>
<PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>80</PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>80</PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>2656</StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>
<RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>Y</RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>
<AlternateRankID>28</AlternateRankID>
</stoprank>

Here StopCode 2656 is the Xylo/Glock Re-It STOP and Rank 28 is Dummy1mS which must be defined in the Rank table. The samples are to be found in the Dummy1mS folder located in InstallationPackageID 001111

I hope this may help you.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

ggoode_sa

PostSat May 29, 2010 6:40 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks!! This is very helpful information :)

I've also been asked to do a Style 216 type using the Paramount 310, so my experience with my own experiment here will help with that. When I get the 216 right I'll send the CODM and ODF to you. My own experiment with the 320 has some ranks added from another commercial sample set (a second Vox, Tibia[Flute] and a 'created' Musette from a classical organ), so that will be for my own consumption only.

Thanks again!

GrahamG

CHRIS 037

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 am

Hi Alan,

I've been messing around with the CODM and trying to set up the 4/50 Tibia's with tremm. I've read your comments above and I think I have the StopRank, tremm, and un-tremm files loaded OK, but I can't figure out what that "StopCode 2651, the Solo Tremulant STOP number" is supposed to be like. I keep getting errors that my "StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank" is wrong.

What does that code look like?

Thanks,

Leo Chris. :)

CHRIS 037

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 am

Well, never mind Alan.

After a fresh start this morning, I got it working fine. The usual stupid error on my part from being at it too many hours last night.

Thanks,

Leo Chris. :D

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 2:59 pm

CHRIS 037 wrote:Well, never mind Alan.

After a fresh start this morning, I got it working fine. The usual stupid error on my part from being at it too many hours last night.

Thanks,

Leo Chris. :D

Often one of my issues. :D

Glad you got it sorted out.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)