It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 am

Limit on Stops Per Manual

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Don Springer

Limit on Stops Per Manual

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Has anyone found a way to overcome the limit of 99 stops per manual?

Mike 353

Re: Limit on Stops Per Manual

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Why would anyone need 99 stops per manual????????????

Mike
Last edited by Mike 353 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

kiwiplant

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Mike, Theatre organs can have lots of stops on the Great manual, sometimes over 99. Especially true if the couplers are also counted and 2nd touch and Pizzicato tabs are grouped with the Great.

Don, I ended up shifting my stops from the default HW note 36 down to 0 that got me a little extra room, but then still ran out of input switches at 99 for Pizz in the Milan 3/31. That was not fun shifting everything, it took weeks to setup, and now I'm not compatible with what anyone else has if I want to play a MIDI file. Is there a reason that the default stops' note number started at 36, not sure?

I'm not sure what to do for the Pizz tabs... they remain unmapped. Everything here is a mess for the 3/31. The only TO I have close to fully mapped right is the Jensen 3/11 and that still has configuration issues too.

How do you handle your configuration?

Hopefully HW 4.0 brings massive ways to simplify setting this stuff up and goes above 99. Then if we have over 127 stops the real puzzle begins with another MIDI channel.

Paul

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Hello Don,

Te 99 stop limit per manual is coded into Hauptwerk's CODM. The only possible way you can get around this is to create an invisible manual (use one of the invisible manual default keyboard codes), then map additional stops beyond 99 to that manual and then create a coupler between manuals which defaults to engaged. The only potential issue you may face is when using other normal inter-manual couplers since these would need to be duplicated for the main manual and the invisible manual. You will also potentially run out of default codes depending on how many couplers you have so that is something to keep in mind.

The 99 limit was done since the default assignment codes also fall in this limit. Of course we hadn't anticipated that any user would need more than 99 stop on a single manual as well!

We'll consider updating this limit for a future update to Hauptwerk.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Don Springer

PostSat Jun 05, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks Brett. I did setup the additional manual, and ran into the complications you described, and this is why I posted about this. I am creating a codm to combine several sample sets, and the 99 stop limit is somewhat challenging. Also fitting the total number of stops on the maximum number of display pages is a problem. So if you increase the stop limit, it would be great to increase the maximum number of pages too. I have a program to generate the codm that is about 60% done, so it is not difficult at this point to reorganize. However, I am currently 59 stops over the 99 limit on the great, so it is quite a challenge. I actually started out to do this because I wanted speed control on the Trems, and things got out of hand.

Mike 353

PostSat Jun 05, 2010 6:05 pm

If you really do want more than 99 stops on a manual, there is another way to do it. Put all stops over 99 on another manual, say Great II, and include that manual in the CODM, along with the same number of presets as the original Great. However, specify the same MIDI channels for both Greats , so that when you play the Great keyboard from your controlling console, you can access up to 198 stops.

Combination pistons likewise need to be specified the same, i.e., No 1 Great piston on your controlling console needs to be mapped to the No. 1 preset of both Great and Great II. Couplers to , say, Pedal would work the same way.

I assume that you displays will include only stops, and not keyboards. If you include keyboards, just give the same X and Y coordinates to both Great and Great II manuals. Ditto for the presets.

I did this while experimenting with putting a Choir and a Positive on the same manual. In that case, I did have a different set of presets for the other division, but I just experimented with one of the Custom organ definitions, and you can do the same thing with the presets.

Have fun.

Mike
Mike

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)