It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 pm

Position_RankDistanceFromListenerMetres

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Don Springer

Position_RankDistanceFromListenerMetres

PostThu Jul 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Is there some prerequisite that I do not know about for this feature to work.
I have the samples set to mono, and I have values from -50 to 50 for various ranks. I do not detect any difference. Has anyone used this feature, and perhaps have some advice for me?

Don Springer

Re: Position_RankDistanceFromListenerMetres

PostThu Jul 22, 2010 7:13 pm

I should add that I am playing back through stereo.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello Don,

What code are you using for Position_LayoutOfPipesOnWindchestCode?

The values are to be set as follows:

1. C/C# divided, C pipes left with bass pipes outermost.
2. C/C# divided, C pipes right with bass pipes outermost.
3. C/C# divided, C pipes left with bass pipes innermost.
4. C/C# divided, C pipes right with bass pipes innermost.
5. Linear with bass pipes on the left.
6. Linear with bass pipes on the right.

If you are beginning with true mono samples and are loading them in stereo through Hauptwerk then try option 3 which follows what the example CODM St. Anne's files uses.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Don Springer

PostThu Jul 22, 2010 8:15 pm

I am using option 2 C/C# divided, C pipes right with bass pipes outermost. But I am loading them as monoral samples as I thought that the description indicated that this was a way to extablish a left/right placement for a monoral sample.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Jul 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Hello Don,

This option works when using mono sampes loaded in stereo only. You can experiment with the St. Anne's samples to verify that it works how you want it to since those are offered in mono.

What samples are you using?

True stereo samples even if loaded in mono will not work since the original sample itself needs to be mono, then using Hauptwerk's audio output settings to load them in stereo. Once this is done the panning should work properly.

See the text in the CODM guide which states:

This setting determines the virtual output positions of the pipes,
which are used when playing mono recordings in stereo or
mono/stereo recordings in surround/3D formats, synthesizing
the remaining channels as required.

Note also that the second portion of that is not yet available in Hauptwerk since Hauptwerk does not currently support surround/3D formatted samples (this is different than a sample set that comes with a surround version).

Thus, if you try it with mono samples it should work properly. You wouldn't be able to accomplish this with the MW 3-31 samples since they are in stereo and cannot be made into mono.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mdyde

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 4:48 am

Hello Don,

Just to add to Brett's reply, if you load a stereo sample in mono Hauptwerk will always use the relative amplitudes of the sample's left and right channels to determine the panning, ignoring any virtual position information in the ODF (on the basis that that's what most users would probably want most of the time, given that most people only load stereo samples in mono as a memory-saving measure, and so would want the result to be heard as close as possible to the original stereo samples).

The virtual position information is thus only currently used when loading real mono samples and outputting them in stereo.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Don Springer

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 11:45 am

Loading the St. Anne's example, I am able to hear the left to right changes from the setting for arrangement of pipes on the chest setting, however I do not hear any panning based on the position_rank... .I increased the values for the ranks to 100 times their original, and I still do not hear any left right panning except for the relation of pipes on the chest.

Don Springer

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 am

is there the option within codm to preset the stereo balance found in the voicing controls?

mdyde

PostFri Jul 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Hello Don,

Loading the St. Anne's example, I am able to hear the left to right changes from the setting for arrangement of pipes on the chest setting, however I do not hear any panning based on the position_rank... .I increased the values for the ranks to 100 times their original, and I still do not hear any left right panning except for the relation of pipes on the chest.

The distance parameter should make a difference, but it will be subtle. You should hear the most difference with very small (=close) values, since the panning will be more extreme (think of the angles relative to the virtual listener).

is there the option within codm to preset the stereo balance found in the voicing controls?

Sorry - no. You would need to use the voicing screen to adjust the stereo balance manually if you want to.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)