It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

Use of external ranks in a CODF

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

marco_m

Use of external ranks in a CODF

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 4:26 am

Hello,

I am currently setting up a hybrid organ comprising 25 pipe stops (it´s the organ of my church, in a village close to Munich) and some virtual stops. As a first tentative, I'm trying to modify the ExampleCustomOrgan1 CODF to adapt it to the use with the pipe organ stops:

I have added some external ranks, e.g.

<externalrank>
<ExternalRankID>1</ExternalRankID>
<Name>External1</Name>
<NumberOfPipes>56</NumberOfPipes>
<MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe>36</MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe>
</externalrank>

and I have replaced some original ranks with the external ones in the StopRank tables:

RankTypeCode = 2
RankID = blank
ExternalRankID = 1

If I load the CODF with the above mentioned modifications, it works, but if I delete the (virtual) ranks which have been replaced by the external ranks I get the error message Code 0904 "The ExternalRankID attribute of the StopRank object named xxxxx does not specify a valid organ rank object".

I find this strange... and it happens only for some stops, e.g. the pedal stop of the examplecustomorgan1.
Shouldn´t the original virtual ranks replaced by external ranks be superfluous?
How can I define an external rank without a corresponding virtual rank in a CODF?

Many thanks in advance for any help,
Kind regards,
Marco

mdyde

Re: Use of external ranks in a CODF

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 am

Hello Marco,

It's probably quickest if we can try your edited CODM ODF file here. We should then be able to spot the problem.

Hence please send us that file (either as an email attachment or via the Contact page) - thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 7:13 am

Hello Marco,

Hello Martin, here is the file you requested this morning. Only one stop has been modified as indicated in my previous message (internal rank replaced by external rank) and the corresponding internal rank has been deleted. If I reinstate that rank (rankID = 1) the organ loads perfectly.
Thank you very much for your help,

Thanks for the file.

I've just tried loading your CODM ODF in the current development build of Hauptwerk v4.0 and it seems to work fine, so perhaps there was/is a bug in Hauptwerk v3 relating to the use of external ranks in the CODM in some particular circumstance that has been fixed along the way in v4 development.

I've just had a quick look through the relevant v3 CODM code and couldn't spot any obvious bugs, but all of my computers here are currently set up for v4 testing, so I can't easily try it in v3. Brett has some computers set up with v3 so I'll ask him to try your CODM ODF in v3.30 to see if he can reproduce it.

If it does turn out to be a bug in v3 probably the best that we could do would be to see if there's a particular circumstance that triggers it, and thus suggest a work-around. (We're not planning on any more v3 releases.)

If you leave a virtual rank in the CODM ODF with ID 1 (e.g. it could just have one pipe so that memory isn't wasted), does it then work properly? I.e. does the external rank play, rather than the virtual rank? If so, could that be a usable work-around for you until v4.0 is released?
Best regards, Martin.

marco_m

PostFri Aug 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello Martin,

thank you for your quick answer! Yes, if I leave the rank ID 1 in the file it works perfectly. Actually I think I can even delete all external ranks and leave the whole CODM ODF as it is, because if I make the correct settings in the General/Keyboard MIDI Outputs window, in the General/Switch MIDI Outputs window and in the Organ Settings/Connect Organ Switches to Switch MIDI Outputs, then HW issues all MIDI commands I need.
The only difference is that I also hear the virtual stops, but this is not a problem -- I can route them to an unused channel if I wish.
So there is no need (as far as I can see now) to define external ranks -- and absolutely no need to delay the tests of HW4!! I'll just rename some stops so that they correspond to the pipe organ stops, and add some new ones.

All the best,
Marco

mdyde

PostSat Aug 21, 2010 6:52 am

Thanks, Marco.

Brett tried your ODF in Hauptwerk v3 last night and confirmed that he had the same error with it, so it does look there was just a bug in v3 relating to external ranks (although I don't know the exact circumstances that trigger it).
Best regards, Martin.

HeAu

PostTue Aug 24, 2010 9:26 am

Hello Marco!

I'm thinking of visiting that church when your installation is ready. Please let me know where it is.

Best regards
HeAu

marco_m

PostWed Aug 25, 2010 8:23 am

Hello HeAu,

sure, no problem. The organ is placed in the church of St. Magdalena in Ottobrunn (quite close to the beginning of the Munich - Salzburg highway). It has an electric action and was built by Münchner Orgelbau in the sixties.
Perhaps a little more info about this project might be useful. We are still at the beginning: I have completed the midification (midization?) of the pipe organ at the end of July; in the next months, the church will be thoroughly renovated and a Viscount organ has been bought for using both as a remote MIDI "consolle" for the pipe organ and as a stand-alone organ when the pipe organ will not be usable due to the renovation works.
I´m planning to add a few (maybe even more!!) HW-based virtual stops, not only to enhance the pipe stops and the Viscount stops, but also to directly compare the virtual stops with the pipe ones -- a very interesting experiment for me.

Best regards,
Marco

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)