It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:52 pm

Is it me or ................. ??

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

wurlitzerwilly

Is it me or ................. ??

PostTue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 am

Hi.

I have just spent half an hour chasing my tail. :)

I have rank '1' defined with notes 012-C to 120-C
I have rank '301' defined with notes 024-C to 120-C
I have stop '2001' defined as a pedal stop to play notes.
I have stop '2601' defined to use as a switch to an alternative rank (a trem switch).
In the StopRank table my entry looks like this:

<stoprank>
<Name>Pedal: Stop - Contra 32</Name>
<StopCode>2001</StopCode>
<RankTypeCode>1</RankTypeCode>
<RankID>1</RankID>
<ExternalRankID></ExternalRankID>
<MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>-24</MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>
<MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>24</MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey>
<NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys>85</NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys>
<ActionTypeCode>1</ActionTypeCode>
<ActionEffectCode>1</ActionEffectCode>
<PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>0</PipeMIDINoteNum036_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>0</PipeMIDINoteNum096_PizzOrReitPeriodMs>
<StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>2601</StopCodeToSwitchToAlternateRank>
<RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>N</RetriggerNotesWhenSwitchingBetweenNormalAndAlternateRanks>
<AlternateRankID>301</AlternateRankID>
<AlternateExternalRankID></AlternateExternalRankID>
</stoprank>

This works up to a point. What is wrong is that the lowest octave does not play, whether the 'trem' switch (2601) is off or on.
Naturally I would expect to not hear the bottom octave with the trem switch on and presume that if I want notes to play I would need to define 012-C to -023-B for rank 301.
What had me going for a while is that it appears that notes 012-C to -023-B need to be present in rank 301 even when the trem switch (2601) is deselected.
Is this expected behaviour, or is it a bug that would perhaps not be found under normal circumstances?

Of course I have a fix already and that's to just put the samples 012-C to 023-B from rank 1 also into rank 301, so no big deal.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

mdyde

Re: Is it me or ................. ??

PostTue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 am

Hello Alan,

Are you sure you intended these values?:

<MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>-24</MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank>

They would indicate that the ranks started with note number 24 - 24 = 0.

Naturally I would expect to not hear the bottom octave with the trem switch on and presume that if I want notes to play I would need to define 012-C to -023-B for rank 301. What had me going for a while is that it appears that notes 012-C to -023-B need to be present in rank 301 even when the trem switch (2601) is deselected.

Hauptwerk requires both the 'main' and 'alternate' (untremmed and tremmed in your case) ranks for any given StopRank entry to cover the compass the StopRank entry specifies.

If that isn't what you want (e.g. if you want the bottom octave of a stop to sound always to be untremmed) then you just need to create two separate StopRank entries - one for the bottom octave and the other for the octaves above that.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wurlitzerwilly

Re: Is it me or ................. ??

PostTue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello Martin.

mdyde wrote:
Are you sure you intended these values?:

They would indicate that the ranks started with note number 24 - 24 = 0.

Sorry about the figures. The 2nd number should be 12. I copied the code as an example and only re-filled certain bits.

Hauptwerk requires both the 'main' and 'alternate' (untremmed and tremmed in your case) ranks for any given StopRank entry to cover the compass the StopRank entry specifies.

Thanks. I guessed that must be the case, but I wondered why the 'untremmed' lowest octave wouldn't sound, if the lowest 'tremmed' octave wasn't defined, even with the 'trem' switch off.
If that isn't what you want (e.g. if you want the bottom octave of a stop to sound always to be untremmed) then you just need to create two separate StopRank entries - one for the bottom octave and the other for the octaves above that.

Yes, I would normally do that, but hadn't got round to it for this particular entry, when I was testing the bottom octave.
As I said, no big deal, it just threw me at the time and got my curiosity going. :)
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)