It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

CODM organ volume problems

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

organtechnology

CODM organ volume problems

PostTue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm

While experimenting with the CODM using the samples of St. Anne's, it has been noted that the volume level of the CODM organs is about 10 dB below the original St. Anne's. Anyone have any ideas what we are doing wrong?

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: CODM organ volume problems

PostTue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Hello Thomas,

All Hauptwerk instruments will default to -10 dB below what is specified in the ODF the first time loading to help insure that audio distortion does not occur. You just need to adjust the output level then it will remain as you set it from then on.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

organtechnology

PostFri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the information. We raised the level of the CODM sample set by 16dB and it is still not as robust as the new St. Anne's out of the box at 0.00 dB. Should that be a concern or not?

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostSat Jun 25, 2011 5:39 am

Hello Thomas,

It's just a level setting - turn it up as much as you like, as long as you don't get clipping (audio distortion). The level meter on the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel will go into the red if clipping occurs:

Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

marclabru

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 4:29 pm

I have the same experience. My CDOM organs sound about 18 db softer than the original organ samles. Is that right?
I have the deibel level in the rank tables at 0. The audio level when opening the organ in Hauptwerk is also at the same level for comparison. Why is that. Do the official ODF's hav a setteing to raise the volume for the whole organ? Or am I doing something wrong somewhere?

larason2

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:06 pm

Every CODM organ I've ever programmed sounds at default a fair bit softer than the commercial ODF the organ comes with. It's easy to fix, just raise the rank levels. It's better they be too soft than too loud, because at high loudness levels you lose detail. Not all ranks have to be raised by the same amount, my principle is that quiet flutes and strings need to be raised the most, high pitched stops and reeds need to be raised the least. It's a good practice to go about adjusting the stops individually to get the best balance. If you need to raise them all quickly, it's better to do it on the Hauptwerk end of things.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 4:41 am

Hello marclabru,

To add to larason2's reply, the full ODF format does have level adjustment attributes in it, as the CODM ODF format does. The makers of the original ODF will probably have adjusted those to taste (so that it's loud enough but not clipping when played with a full registration).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)