It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 pm

Noob Questions

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

Noob Questions

PostFri Sep 23, 2011 1:41 pm

1. Is there a list of what can and can't be done in CODM versus a full boat ODF?

2. Is the default GUI fully functional regarding mouse clikability and midi assignmnets? My need is for a custom CODM for "headless" operation in my physical console and really don't need touchscreen access.

3. I plan to learn CODM in order to customize an existing users CODM creation.
Are these files third party editable without permission from the CODM file creator?

4. If a single sample is also used elsware in another division, are all the voicing parameters independantly voicable?

5. Can a single sample be extended an octave for duplicate use elaswhere if the original pitch wasn't what is desired?

CODM appears to have a bit of a learning curve, and answers to the above will assist in the decision to immerse myself in CODM Geekdom.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Morse

Re: Noob Questions

PostSun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Doug,

I've done some CODM programming but I certainly don't claim to know everything about it. Here's my take on the questions you raise:

1. Is there a list of what can and can't be done in CODM versus a full boat ODF?

I don't think there is a comprehensive list of what *can't* be done in CODM, just a discussion in the manual of what *can* be done. In general, CODM treats all the samples of a rank as a batch. That is, all the samples have common voicing parameters, although the parameters may be varied linearly across the compass. The full ODF description allows each pipe to be individually specified if desired, and special parameters such as cross fade timing can be adjusted.

2. Is the default GUI fully functional regarding mouse clikability and midi assignmnets?

I'm not sure the CODM GUI is "fully functional", but I haven't personally encountered any limitations beyond what can be done with a full ODF.

3. I plan to learn CODM in order to customize an existing users CODM creation.
Are these files third party editable without permission from the CODM file creator?

Third party ODF's which were created through CODM are fully editable, but it would be certainly be courteous to ask the author's permission. In the case of my extended Velesovo ODF's, I have no objection to anyone using them as they wish. Since I do not intend to become a commercial sample set producer, I have no "territory" to protect! I just have fun with Hauptwerk and am happy to share things with other users.

4. If a single sample is also used elsware in another division, are all the voicing parameters independantly voicable?

I'm not sure what you mean a "single sample". If you load a sample rank for one division and then "borrow" the rank for another division, then the voicing parameters will be common to both divisions. If you load a set of samples more than once, into separate ranks, then the parameters can be individually set.

5. Can a single sample be extended an octave for duplicate use elaswhere if the original pitch wasn't what is desired?

The answer to what I think you are asking is "yes". For example, in the extended Velesovo I offset a duplicate set of samples from the Great 16' Fagott and formed an 8' Oboe stop on the Choir division.

CODM appears to have a bit of a learning curve, and answers to the above will assist in the decision to immerse myself in CODM Geekdom.

Please don't call me a Geek! :?
Al Morse

Doug S.

PostSun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks Al!
Doug

ggoode_sa

PostMon Sep 26, 2011 5:59 am

2. Is the default GUI fully functional regarding mouse clikability and midi assignments?

Yes. In regard to mouse clicks and MIDI assignment a CODM organ is fully functional.

If you are used to XML style coding or documentation practices then the CODM is fairly straightforward. Plug the parameters in and you're done. If you're not used to XML, then yes - there will be a learning curve.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

dhm

PostMon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 am

For what it's worth, I found the easiest way (for me) to edit CODM files was to open the XML file in MS Word (right-click, "Open with..."). But, as they say, "your mileage may vary". Try it; you have nothing to lose.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Doug S.

PostMon Sep 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks All!
I'm setting out with zero editing experience, but with very high motivation seeing what some of you have been able to do,
Doug

megafisc2

PostWed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 pm

I've found that XML Marker is an excellent editing tool.

dhm

PostWed Sep 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Tried that, but haven't quite gotten my head round it yet. It will come - I just need more time and patience.
In the meantime MS Word works well for me.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)