It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:12 pm

Pedalboard Repair

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

TomBentley

Pedalboard Repair

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 9:15 am

Odd problem here with my pedalboard. 32 AGO pedalboard on Saville organ with reed switches. Pedalboard is on level concrete floor but now that winter is setting in floor is heated and apparently pedalboard is no longer alligned properly and some pedals are physically sticking - no problem with contacts, just the mechanics of pedalboard. First octave 1 pedals d# and e would stick, sometimes f. By lifting very slight on rear right hand corner of pedalboard they would immediately free up and work just fine, but that would cause octave 2 f and g to then stick. I've tried shims of all sizes in all places to alleviate possible of stress on the workings but shimming one side only changes the location of the stick. A slight kick to any stuck down pedal would immeidately free the stuck pedal. I tried making sure the felt lining to the front guides were okay and it appears that they might not stick at all were it not for the felt. No matter how I've tried manipulating the basic seating of the board itself can't seem to get all pedals working efficiently and even if I do the next day we're back to square one. Thought perhaps there was an adjustment in the back end of the pedals that would allow me to re-allign the pedals individually but alas I can get every screw out of the back cover except the center screw. Would pursue perhaps drilling that stripped screw out but hate to undertake that if I would only find that there isn't any alternative to fixing that than dismantling the pedalboard. Should I perhaps remove the felt from it front guides on sticking pedals? The organ came from a garage where it lived unprotected for several years and a rat's nest was found in the rear portion of the pedalboard and cleaned out when I got the instrument. So opinion on whether I really need to get that entire back assembly apart or whether it is a matter of the pedalboard adapting (swelling, etc.) since it now has a nicer home than a garage and there would be easier fix than tearing everything apart would be appreciated. By the way, if I stand the pedalboard up to try and see what is actually rubbing every pedal works fine and the rubbing stops. But I don;t think lying on my back with the organ nailed to the wall above me would be a viable solution :roll: Any thought from someone who might have experienced this before?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tom

TheOrganDoc

Re: Pedalboard Repair

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi Tom,
I would think that you should Shim / raise the Console end of your Pedalboard .

But if the magnets and reeds, are incorporated in the pedal assembly,
than there is usually a means to adjust the height
of either the Magnets or the Reed cell's. (Very Carefully Please !) :roll:
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

TomBentley

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks Mel. But its actually a problem with the mechanics of the pedalboard itself, the pedals are themselves becoming stuck in the down position. Apparently the apparatus has somehow become warped very slightly. I did manage this afternoon to shim the back right-hand corner and the pedals are now all popping back up, a few a couple a bit sluggishly but certainly better than they were. I got a kit to drill out the screw that is stripped holding the cover to access the back of the pedal construction and will probably attempt that tomorrow or maybe just let it ride until it becomes unbalanced again. In the process today I did manage to break a reed switch but I think I can repair that with just a new reed switch -- the contact itself appears to be okay and I will check that with a multimeter tomorrow. I see from a search I can order just the switch if need be. The one that I broke is not salvagable -- tho I might be able to pull one from a former pedalboard I have in the store room. Doesn't look like rocket science to put it in -- one end to the contact pad and the other to a bus wire if I am reading that correctly. If that's wrong please feel free to chime in with where I am messing up.

Thanks for your advice -- I always read what you post as your experience seems vast.

Tom

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Tom,

When handling Reed Switches,
Be Sure not to apply stress to the "wire-glass interface, as the glass will break every time!

Regular method is to hold the lead wire firmly, a bit away from the glass with long nose pliers,
and then bend the wire on the other side of the pliers, to the shape needed for installation .

Be sure to order extra Reed's as they break way too easily !

I have used a "Mini Vice Grip to prevent breakage on hundreds of reeds.

I have been using IR Op-Switches on all of my keys and pedals for almost three years now,
they are "amazingly reliable" !

Mel

TomBentley

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 9:32 pm

I'll order extras Mel -- thanks. I just did a quick internet search on IR Op switch and it looks a bit complicated.... Or do you have some sort of source for a kit type install -- maybe it would be worth completely redoing the pedalboard.

Tom

engrssc

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 5:13 am

Have you considered a piece of plywood at least 3/4" thick to go under both the console and the pedal board? Had a similar problem a long time ago. Solved it by building a very sturdy platform for both the console, pedal board and bench. In my case I used 1" thick plywood with a 2" X 6" bolted together frame work. Large heavy duty casters make it easy to move as well. Wood is stained to match the console. Keeping everything on the same plane seemed to solve the issue now for over 5 years.

Rgds,
Ed

TomBentley

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks Ed, but the console and pedalboard are only connected via a wiring harness. The actual reed switches are not on the organ console but attached to the pedalboard unit. I have it somewhat solved finally last night by more cleaning and a shim to the right read side of pedalboard. Now if I can just install a new reed switch which I broke in the process I'll be doing okay. I think in the future I really need to disassemble that pedalboard and basically rebuild it. It was stored by the previous owner in a very messy cold and damp garage where a mouse family apparently moved into the pedalboard.

Tom

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi Tom,
It sounds to me as though the front pedal key guides,
have swelled up and they need to be trimmed a bit.

Please try moving the front of each pedal from "side to side",
while depressing that pedal,
this will confirm to you if Swelled front Key Guides are your problem.

You may PM me anytime, if you wish more assistance.
Best wishes,
and Happy Thanksgiving, ------ from Mel

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI