It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:46 am

MIDI Boutique and Hauptwerk V configuration

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

jcrowley

MIDI Boutique and Hauptwerk V configuration

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding implementing a MIDI Boutique mlc8 decoder board and the Hauptwerk V setup parameters.

It all looks very simple at the start but I have tried every possible combination for both the device Windows setup routine and then from the Hauptwerk side.

I also have viewed every post that is similar but no posts actually explain how this has to be setup in HWV.

This is what I have ready to go on the mlc8 board.

(S1) 1 double 10 point LED bar graph = green - aka their product id= ls10b2 for the Choir/Positiv expression pedal.
(S2) 1 Triple digit LED display model- red - aka ls3d for the Crescendo/misc third expression if needed pedal.
(S3) 1 double 10 point LED bar graph=green - product id=ls10b2 for the Swell Indicator

Keep in mind that I have programmed the device via only a MIDI cable and my Scarlett 18i20 instead of the MOTU Micro Lite merger. I also have attempted to send the Sysex messages using the MOTU - same result=zilch.

From the MIDI Boutique setup routine I have tried all three setup types - Hauptwerk Parameter/Control Change/Program Change
S1 has been configured as such... HW Parameter = FloatingDiv1ExprePedCCPct which is a 7-bit unsigned integer 0...100.
S2...HW Parameter=CuedMasterCrescStage also 7-bit unsigned interger 0...31.
S3 is setup identical to S1 only with FloatingDiv2ExpreCCPct.

From HauptwerkV - I have set the general settings (MIDI Ports) to only MIDI out to MOTU port 5. Then have set the conditions for the Organ Settings to Advanced MIDI setup - added all three LED units and configured them to be attached to which ever "Swell/Choir/Crescendo" pedal as Crescendo stage 0-31. Basically the same setting for each device to each pedal. The choices for Expression pedal are greyed out if I choose any other parameter from that screen.

I also have changed all of the other parameters to the device via MIDI Boutiques interface to pretty much every choice.

Now I did get one digit to light up on the tripe-digit LED. But it does not track any pedal movement.

The reason I chose the triple digit display is that I would rather see "where" in the crescendo sequence I am - bar graph tells me nothing. If it is used as an alternate third expression pedal it will just show the data differently and that is okay by me.

I cannot make any other choice in Hauptwerk V.

Any solutions?

Thank you in advance.

Jeffery

S2 has been configured as such...HW Parameter = CuedMasterCrescStage also a 7-bit unsigned integer 0...31
S3 has been configured same as S1 only I used FloatingDiv2ExprePedCCPct.

jcrowley

Re: MIDI Boutique and Hauptwerk V configuration

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Somehow - I finally got two of the three Mini LCD screens to work - unfortunately two of the units display the same expression pedal - only one is a bargraph and the other is Hundreds, Tens and Units numeric display. The funny part is they are all programmed on a different channel - 1,2 and 3.

The Expression shoes in my case are Swell in the middle - Positiv/Choir to the left and crescendo or 3rd expression box on the far right. The crescendo uses numeric display because I have never understood why organbuilders utilize a bargraph because the lights are meaningless and one usually has 20 lights and 64 or so steps. Show me the numbahs please.

Anyway - the Swell shoe is triggering the Crescendo a\AND Swell LED's. Zippo for the Choir/Positiv light. I also have a curious issue with only one sample set Piotr Grabowski's Freisach (which is an excellent set, BTW) For some unknown reason the Swell shoe also triggers a miscellaneous combination change - it is always the same stops that are brought on cancelling whatever combination that I have programmed. It happens when the swell shoe is about half-way deployed. I figure there is some maybe MIDI "bounce" in the system. I have Yamaha FC7 x 3 foot controllers. They are each connected to a manual via the "sustain" pedal port. I have not programmed the keyboards port although I can - I suppose although it would take a certain amount of contortion-ism. I would have to move the console away from the wall and I kept all of the mini main boards connected and through a series of sequential key presses can actually program the port.

I sort of never did anything because Hauptwerk simply finds where the device is without any intervention on my part

jcrowley

Re: MIDI Boutique and Hauptwerk V configuration

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Good News!

All three LED's are now working properly and responding to the appropriate function/shoe. I am very glad to have purchased the Three Digit LED for Crescendo. It also works as a third expression pedal when required - such as the Peterborough Cathedral Solo Division.

One thing that tripped me up was that one should just accept the Hauptwerk default for the start at #. Mine is 33 for the Expression shoes and 37 for the Crescendo shoe. Doing that allows for the displays to work 100%.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI