It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 am

Manuals advice

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

montyjnc

Manuals advice

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am

Hello all-

Currently I am using an old 1960s 3M stack of Rodgers 330E manuals for my hauptwerk, that I had midified. While they are "functional" the touch is pretty horrendous, and the keys feel like I'm playing a 10$ casio keyboard. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to find "tracker touch" style keyboards that would be relatively "plug and play" OTHER than CMK manuals? I do not have $6000 to shell out for 3x CMK3 keyboards, but am desperately trying to find keyboards with a better action. I am used to playing real trackers, so it is a pretty rough transition.

Those of you who own CMK3 tracker touch manuals... is it worth it? Should I just wait 5 years until I could afford it?

N.B. I am a DMA student at a horrifyingly expensive school in the states, so my budget is a bit tight! With COVID-19 I currently have to do all of my practicing at home. Ideally I am looking for manuals with 8 divisionals each (and a few generals would be helpful)

Thanks in advance!

engrssc

Re: Manuals advice

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 am

In place of real thumb piston, a Launchpad could work temporarily. I'm not a huge fan of them, but in a "situation" such as lack-a-budget, they do work.

Rgds,
Ed

ldeutsch

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:32 pm

The Rodgers 330E had very nice wood-core keyboards that should last almost forever. You might consider replacing some felt and checking the tension adjustments. This kind of work is not too hard and can be done on a low budget. The keyboards will not be tracker-touch but they should be as good as those on any non-tracker pipe organ.

I am actually using a music rack and many SAMs from a scrapped 330E on my home theater organ console - and they all work great after some minor reasonable refurbishment. That old console was water-damaged and the keyboards were a total loss!

You might also check online for people who have used strong synthetic magnets to add tracker touch to such keyboards - though I have not done this myself.

Les

montyjnc

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Maybe it’s not a 330E then... they’re plastic garbage, not wood

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Hello¡
Why CMK are out of question? I´m very happy with mines (4)

Luis

montyjnc

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 7:13 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:Hello¡

Luis

With a student budget, I can't afford $10,000 of manuals unfortunately. Trust me - I wish I could!

javawizard

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 pm

montyjnc wrote:
profeluisegarcia wrote:Hello¡

Luis

With a student budget, I can't afford $10,000 of manuals unfortunately. Trust me - I wish I could!

If you're willing to build the piston rails and pistons yourself and if you don't care about the fancy wood topped keys, the CMK manuals are $525. The $2,000 option is the most expensive configuration you can buy - wooden keys with 24 pistons - and certainly isn't a necessity.

Organorak

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 6:05 pm

The basic Fatar TP60 are very nice keyboards to play on, considering they are made of plastic. They hinge quite a way back behind the thumbrail, the rear portion of the key is made of metal. I believe the CMK keyboards are TP60s plus a MIDI circuitboard. Here in the UK a slightly cheaper option is to find a Fatar supplier (rare as hens' teeth mind you) and use the Doepffer MKE MIDI circuitboard and ribbon cable instead but you might struggle to find such a combination your side of the pond. Worth spending the money on if you possibly can.

Rather than spending the same again on each piston rail you can always make your own using $1 buttons off Ebay if you can use a soldering iron. The downside is I found making my piston rails to be the most fiddly part of the whole console construction and afterwards could understand why the ones that are professionally made seem to cost so much!

damuehlbauer

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 7:28 pm

I discovered this website selling various keyboard and related components: http://www.classicalmidiorgans.com/

I have never purchased anything from them, but it might be worth exploring. If you get something from them, post some feedback on the item quality.

Wall.e

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 am

You could search for used real tracker manuals from a pipe organ, they are sometimes available e.g. on ebay. If you know something about electronics, you can midify the manuals for minimal budget, I added Arduinos for mine for about 50$ and got a 3 tracker manual with wooden keys for about 300$, much better than any keyboard on the market.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI