It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

One switch turn on

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

RichardW

One switch turn on

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm

I have recently upgraded my console (AKA shelf) so that it now has its own PC. The PC has been installed under the keyboards making the start button hard to reach. The mains switch just behind it was a problem as well. So I started thinking about ways to make it easier to turn on the HW PC.

I had previously seen these Energenie trailing sockets https://energenie4u.co.uk/index.php/catalogue/product/ENER011 at: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ on their Peripherals-->Power Management pages. The sockets connect to the PC with a USB cable. When I saw one for sale in my local Maplin store I could not resist buying one. This allows the PC to switch on and off the mains sockets. There are six sockets. All six are routed through its master switch and four of them can be controlled individually via USB (or by a built-in timer or, if your PC is internet connected and you leave it switched on, you can switch things on and off while you are out via the internet - I'm told.)

Also, I happened to notice that my new Asus motherboard had a feature in the BIOS to restart the PC after a power failure. I needed to make this setting and then force the PC to shutdown using the start button. It needs to "think" it has crashed. Subsequently, when mains is re-applied to the PC it boots itself up. If you put HW in the startup folder and tell it to load an organ on start then you are nearly there.

All that is left is the massive click when the soundcard sorts itself out at startup. This is where the USB-controlled sockets come in. I got the supplied program to recognise Windows startup and then to switch the amplifier on and the closure of HW to switch it back off.

I now have a system that after turning on the mains switch will leave me looking at the stop jambs of the Salisbury with the blower running.

To close the system down I need to ask HW to shut the computer down (the amp is automatically switched off before closing Windows). It then remains to switch the mains supply off at the Energenie socket.

Not a full "one switch" solution but quite slick nonetheless.

(I have no connection with any company or product mentioned above.)

Regards,
Richard

RichardW

Re: One switch turn on

PostSun Jan 26, 2014 9:58 pm

I have had some new sound equipment recently and as it arrived I plugged it in. I now have wires everywhere. So I thought it was time I worked out what I needed to get it sorted out.

After I had drawn out the mains wiring I got a bit carried away. It occured to me that it might be possible to lay all the wiring out without crossing wires on the diagram. (I think the word is "sad". :( )

However, it looked quite pretty so here it is. The Energenie is the large trailing socket. The two end sockets become live as soon as it is switched on and the remaining sockets are under USB control. With the RME USB sound module it seems as if I need to delay only the sound system (five speakers). The "console" (PC, monitors, pedals, keyboard and sound module) all start straightaway.

To shutdown, I first close Windows via the HW menu then switch off the main switch after the PC has shutdown. So it is not "industrial strength" but is OK for personal use.

Regards,
Richard

mcorderoy

PostMon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 am

That's a useful idea, thanks.
Do you have to use additional software to control this, or can it be done in the native OS?

RichardW

PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 am

The Energenie comes with a utility which you need to install.

Mine is running under Windows 7. Nothing extra was required.

The site says: "Computer running Windows® 2000/XP/Vista or Windows 7 is required for using the Power Manager software" So not Mac and maybe not Windows 8 - but that might be worth a question to them. It talks to the USB socket so it is likely to run under Windows 8 but worth a check.

Regards,
Richard

ChangedForever

PostWed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Looks pretty good - none sold in the United States, though.

Regards,
Mark

Owen Jones

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 3:00 am

I use this product in my VTPO installation;

[url]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bauhn-Remote-Controlled-Power-Switch-4-Outlets-In-One-Box-/321784754499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4aebddb143[/url]

robinsmh

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 am

I've been looking for something like this for a while, to delay the switch-on of my amps.

My Behringer FCA610 gives a massive couple of audio clicks as it starts up, so something to automatically turn on my power amps after a delay (e.g. as Hauptwerk loads) would be ideal.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Martin

morgen

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 7:52 am

Some available and forthcoming products from Smart Strip may provide the desired functions. They are available from Amazon and SmartHome.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/smart-strip-power-strip-automatic-switching-surge-suppressor/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_172282?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Smart+Strip&node=172282

steve till

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 10:23 am

morgen wrote:Some available and forthcoming products from Smart Strip may provide...

But these all seem to turn on all the switched outlets when the control outlet uses power.
In other words, you turn on your computer connected to the blue outlet, then everything else comes on.
I do not find any mention of a delay function or USB control of the switched outlets.

morgen

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 10:56 am

agreed

morgen

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 11:18 am

Although not a USB or software driven interface (could be an advantage), the Furman M-8S sequencer ($173) can be used to turn audio, MIDI or other equipment on (or off) in a programmed sequence with adjustable delays of up to 10 sec each. Perhaps the Furman could be plugged into the more simplistic version of the Smart Strip: power on computer, then power is delivered to Furman which powers up to three banks of devices at preset intervals.

http://furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=M-8S

http://furmansound.com/pdf/manuals/M-8S_manual.pdf

http://furmansound.com/pdf/manuals/M-8S_manual.pdf

IainStinson

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 12:31 pm

I also make use of the Energenie as a part of my “power sequencing”.

For those who are interested (this is a little convoluted…) read on.

The Energenie is supplied with a Windows program which enables each of the sockets to be turned on (and off) from a command line interface. The program can also monitor the system for “events” such as applications ending or Windows shutting down.

I use a shell / batch script to start HW which does the following in sequence:
1. Waits for 10 seconds [to be sure that the Energenie USB driver is running]
{Turn on the audio units in order so that unit 0 is always the “master” unit}
2. Turns on Focusrite Pro 40 unit 0 [socket 1]
3. Waits 10 seconds
4. Turns on Focusrite Pro Unit 1 [socket 2]
5. Waits for 5 seconds
6. Turns on the Reverb unit [socket 3]
7. Waits 10 seconds
8. Turns on the power amps and sub [socket 4]
9. Starts HW [with the START command it’s not running in the batch script]

The start up script runs automatically when the user account I use of HW logins in.

To get an automated and shutdown without clicks I do the following:
I exit HW use EXIT never SHUTDOWN the computer option.
I have set the Energenie event monitor to turn off the AMPS [socket 4] when HW ends and to turn off the other sockets when Windows exits.

I use another little piece of software which is automatically started; this monitors system events and this also detects when HW ends: this is then able to wait for a period of time (30 seconds) and then shuts down Windows. (As windows shutdown the Energenie monitor turns off sockets 1 -3, turning off the Pro 40s and the Reverb unit).

To complete the “automation” I use an RF controller power socket to which I connect the Energenie and the HW computer. The HW computer is set to boot on power being restored.

To turn on and play I turn on the RF power control; this causes the PC to boot and start Windows. I then touch the icon for the user account which runs HW; this runs the batch script automatically and HW starts with all its devices started in the correct order. (I still turn the console on manually).

To turn it off, I simply exit from HW: this starts a series of events which turns off the equipment and shuts down the computer.(Leaving HW turns off the amps, leaving windows turns off the rest of the stuff) When all this is done I use the RF controller to turn off the mains to the whole setup.

The "wait times" could be reduced - they depend on how long it takes for items to become stable (or stop silently).

Iain

steve till

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 10:47 am

IainStinson wrote:I also make use of the Energenie as a part of my “power sequencing”...

Iain

Yes. But this still requires some user interaction with a computer.
What many of us want is to do all of that with a switch or piston.
Still haven't figured that one out.
Many organists are not computer literate and would never get it started, or turned off either.
I think a 'virtual organ' also needs some sort of a 'virtual power switch' which is obvious.

Steve.

Frank-Evans

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 6:56 pm

I used a slightly different approach to accomplish a “one switch” turn on/off.
Since I have several power supplies to turn on for the 214 SAMs as well as the logic supplies I utilized a couple of multi-socket power strips. They had originally come from Radio Shack and had a nice aluminum case as well as a built in circuit breaker.
Initially I have a 5 volt 3 amp power supply to provide logic power to the Artisan circuit boards. These stay powered up 24/7. The power draw is very small and leaving them on eliminates any “boot up” time for the logic.
The Main power switch turns on AC Mains to the two +12V. power supplies used for keying and stop tab data as well as the four 12 volt/40 amp power supplies used for the SAMs. I use + 12 V. on the keying data supply to switch on a solid state relay turning on the Echo Audio interfaces, Computer Monitor, Lexicon MX400 reverb. That same +12 also causes a time delay relay to close a set of contacts for ½ second. These contacts are parallel across the computer power switch, as well as powering a 30 second delay relay to apply +12V. to the power control relays for the twenty powered monitors and four subs. After the 30 second delay they come on silent. Overall boot up time for the Paramount 450 is about 40 seconds and it’s ready to play.
Shut down is a reverse, turning off the main power switch causes the powered monitors to drop out immediately, the computer control relay again closes for ½ second starting the shutdown for the computer and power is removed from the switching and SAMs power. Oh yes… the console lights also go off and on with the same switch.
That’s the simple explanation of the operation…. Built from scratch using used power strips, I would say the “control system cost about $50.00 and several evenings work.
Regards
Frank Evans

MikeDC

PostSat Jul 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Here's how mine works.

Extended the momentary on/off switch from the computer to the console. That becomes the Main switch.

1. Power on Computer using extended switch.
2. Computer sends 12V trigger to Belkin A/V power center with immediate and delayed outlets.
3. Belkin powers up RME Audio Interface, MOTU MIDI hub, and headphone amp.
4. Belkin powers up organ 12v power supply which powers all circuit boards and provides power for SAMs.
5. A second momentary switch uses HW "Power down computer" function to turn off PC which turns off Belkin.

Since I rarely use external audio, it is on it's own switch which powers up a Furman power sequencer which cycles on all the powered speakers and subwoofer.

(If I wanted to external audio to come on all the time, all I would do is extend another 12v trigger to the Furman.)

Mike
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI