Search:
Submit Search

Another Swell Pedal Contraption

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...

Another Swell Pedal Contraption

Postby jkinkennon » Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I recently added an additional pedal to the Allen 603D console I'm working on. I've built a set of linkages to potentiometers that are very much inspired by the photos I've seen of Ed's console. All the parts are ordinary hardware store items.

Imitation is the sincerest (form) of flattery. -- Charles Caleb Colton
Last edited by jkinkennon on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkinkennon

Re: Another Swell Pedal Contraption

Postby brooke.benfield » Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi jkinkennon;

That's a pretty slick looking setup you put together there.

How about a B.O.M. of what went into it and approximate costs?

I'm going to need a solution soon for 4 swell pedals and just might want to practice a little flattery myself.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR
brooke.benfield

Postby jkinkennon » Wed May 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Let's see, a Bill of Material... Here's roughly what's there starting at the top of the shaft.

One 10-32 machine screw with a lockwasher between two nuts (to keep the connection to the pedal loose).
The screw replaces the 10-32 set screw in a 1/4" shaft collar.
The shaft is a hollow aluminum tube (# 3061) that's 1/4" OD. (from K&S Engineering in Chicago).
The bottom end of the shaft was tapped for a #6 eye bolt with nut to secure it. (or was that a #8 ???).
There's a nylon grommet inserted in the eyebolt that's a perfect friction fit to the potentiometer.
The mounting material is a fairly soft plastic that's really easy to drill and tap for machine screws. Sorry I don't have details, but I can check at the store if necessary.
The potentiometers are mounted with two layers of double sided tape -- they seem VERY secure. The second layer was needed to keep the eyebolt from scraping against the plastic base.

I don't have the receipts at hand. Everything was probably around $20 plus I bought a large sheet of the plastic material for about $20. The units are now wired and seem to be working perfectly.
jkinkennon

Postby eivind » Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 am

:D :D now THIS! was very usefull!! Thanks!
eivind

Postby engrssc » Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 am

This is what John was referring to in my Rodgers 340. He did a nice job of simplifying the installation, too. Mine is a little more involved because I kept the original Rodgers controls and circuitry which still is all intact and plays (in addition to the Hauptwerk organs):

I was able to purchase the mounting items from a hardware store. The brass rod is actually from a toilet flushing mechanism. It passes thru a teflon block to insure alignment. The linear slide pots are from Mouser Electronics.

(I was asked about the mounting of the linear pots. I used 2 - (plastic) hardware (slightly modified) for mounting a mirror (to a wall for instance). Between the "plastic" and the assembly block is a piece of rubber which can be compressed so that you can apply just the right amount of pressure to the pot to keep it in place. So far it has worked fine even when really "working" the expression pedals).

The (10K) pots connect into a POT 32 Midi Controller made by Roman Sowa. It has 32 inputs. By varying the input voltage from 0 to +5VDC, MIDI messages are generated.

Tight quarters between the expression pedals and the first of 3 racks which house the components for the Rodgers analogue instrument. A portion of the Cathedral Chime unit is to the right of the expression pedals.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
engrssc

Postby brooke.benfield » Thu May 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Useful information indeed, jkinkennon and engrssc. Thanks.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR
brooke.benfield

Postby eivind » Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 am

One question - to both builders:
What kind of sliding potentiometers are you using?

brand, resistance, type - is what I'm asking for - as well as suggestions on online suppliers ofcourse.

Oh - and have a nice weekend!
eivind

Postby jkinkennon » Fri May 11, 2012 11:32 am

The potentiometer is catalog number COM-09119 on the SparkFun site. It's 10k, linear taper, and very inexpensive. Stick with something in the 5 to 20k range. The size (length) of the pot (about 3.6") allowed just enough travel to be a perfect match for the Allen pedals without jamming the slider against either end.
jkinkennon

Postby Antoni Scott » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Very,very clever !!!! You just solved my Swell Pedal problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really like the idea of those inexpensive hinges to solve the arc problem when the pedal is depressed.
I was trying to figure out a way to make my swell pedals rotate the potentiometer with a greater degree of rotation. I won't work unless I use a gear mechanism.

On some of theHauptwerk organ samples I have installed that didn't come with Crescendo's or Swell pedals, I was able to add them with no problem. The only issue was that since the original organ console pedals didn't use a gear to rotate the potentiometer the arc of rotation was too small causing abrupt changes in volume or crescendo. Using a slide potentiometer with a greater distance of movement will solve that problem.

Antoni

You have to credit to the Forum concept. When hundreds of Hauptwerkians collaborate, anything is possible.

May I ask what slide potentiometers you used and how much they were ?
Antoni Scott

Postby engrssc » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Just make sure you use a linear taper slider for this applications,

Another point for prospective builders, the crescendo pedal should be mounted approx one half inch higher than any expression pedal.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby jkinkennon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 am

My method of getting the height for the crescendo pedal isn't obvious in the photo. The basic structural mount is a section of an ordinary 2x4. There's a piece of wood on the back side of the 2x4 behind only the swell pedals, and there are similar "shims" on the top and the front of the 2x4 for the crescendo pedal. Everything is glued and screwed and quite solid. The older cast versions of these type pedals can crack, especially near the mounting holes. It's a good idea to do a little extra filing and shaping to get the pedal and mount to fit snugly so they won't be inclined to rock about and loosen up.
jkinkennon

Postby engrssc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:57 pm

engrssc

Postby 1961TC4ME » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:38 am

Hardware stores make great organ supply stores! :D

I saw Ed's post earlier on this and liked the looks of it, the latest info posted by jkinkennon here makes it even more interesting. I'm in the middle of a rebuild / organ face-lift right now (yes, it's terrible to not have an organ to play!) and have pondered while I'm at it perhaps I should also address some pedal options while I have things torn apart and the shop in a total mess.

Maybe I didn't read deep enough into Ed's original post on this but one piece of the puzzle for me is missing here which is: There's an encoder board in the equation to make this work. Any additional details / pictures either of you could provide on how you made the connection from the pedals to the computer?

Thanks,

Marc
1961TC4ME

Postby johnh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Maybe I didn't read deep enough into Ed's original post on this but one piece of the puzzle for me is missing here which is: There's an encoder board in the equation to make this work. Any additional details / pictures either of you could provide on how you made the connection from the pedals to the computer?

As a review, a pot (potentiometer) is a variable resistor with three connection points, that can either be 'slide' style (as shown above) or rotary style:

SLIDE:

ROTARY:

Terminals 1 and 3 are on each end of a fixed resistance (10K is typical for our purposes) and Terminal 2 is on the movable part.

(here's an example of a slide pot: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9119 like the first drawing above)

(here's an example of a rotary pot https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9939 like the second drawing above)

Many MIDI encoders provide inputs for pots. Here's the HWCE2 from MIDI Boutique for example:

In the lower right you can see the schematic drawing showing how to connect up to 8 pots to the encoder board. Terminal 1 of each pot is connected to VCC ( 5 volts in the case of the HWCE2) and terminal 3 is connected to ground. Terminal 2 is connected one of the pins on the 'pots' connector. Some folks like to use a shielded three wire cable from each pot back to the encoder board. (Example: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/3cs22/3-conductor-shielded-cable-w/drain/1.html)

When connected and tested if the pedal works in the opposite way that you expect, (ie the swell closes as you push the pedal forward and opens as you pull it back) swap the 1 and 3 connections. I believe HW can correct for this as well.
johnh

Postby engrssc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Maybe I didn't read deep enough into Ed's original post on this but one piece of the puzzle for me is missing here which is: There's an encoder board in the equation to make this work. Any additional details / pictures either of you could provide on how you made the connection from the pedals to the computer?

Puzzle solver

http://midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=BBSP

plugged into a:

http://midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=MRG2

At the side there are 5 goldpins - this is analog portion of the board: 2 pins for connecting end taps of potentiometers, and 3 inputs for the pots' wipers. It can work with plain potentiometers, or voltages in range 0-5V. You may use dedicated cable with a plug to easy access those inputs without the need of soldering MIDI board directly

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI