It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

Need help with solenoid drawstops

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

jeremalian

Need help with solenoid drawstops

PostFri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am

Hello guys, I am trying to see the possibility of building my own solenoid draw stops to add to my HauptWerk Organ. Please I will appreciate if anyone can help by explaining how I will go about assembling it together.

I saw an interesting topic here viewtopic.php?t=1008
but its not very explanatory for a non electrically oriented organist like myself.

Thanks

engrssc

Re: Need help with solenoid drawstops

PostFri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I might suggest trying to find some used solenoid draw stops if possible as they are quite involved units not only electrically, but as well, mechanically. I've seen several console online, esp on eBay. There may be inop consoles that have operating draw stops available quite reasonably.

In addition, you have to figure the amount of instantaneous current needed to operate them. Likewise, if you control them with a combination action (pistons) it is good practice to limit the duty cycle (on /off time pulse) so as not to burn the coils out.

All this to say, while it can be done, there is quite a bit to consider beyond just the draw stops themselves.

Rgds,
Ed

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Jul 01, 2012 10:23 am

Well said Ed. I'm very electronically and mechanically inclined and even I wouldn't attempt to make my own. Even though I'm sure with enough time and effort I could make them work, I would be much further ahead to find some used ones where someone else already put all of the R&D time into them to make them work properly.

As far as a combination action control goes, there have been many good used ones for sale also. I myself have a Peterson unit that works very nicely.

Eric

wave.jaco

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 am

Hi everyone. I am new to the Hauptwerk forum and have been browsing some topics the past few weeks.

I am particularly interested in the topic of this thread. Has anybody lately been manufacturing their own draw stops? I am considering building some of my own for my planned Hauptwerk console.

Thank you and kind regards :D

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI