It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

M-Audio Keystation 61es: Uses for discarded pieces

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Rafael

M-Audio Keystation 61es: Uses for discarded pieces

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

I build my VPOs using this convenient keyboard, low-priced, tested in our community, and whose modular electronic building and detachable plastic case makes easy to take the key stack apart and insert it within a wooden frame. So far I have always discarded the volume slider, the pitch bend wheel and the modulation wheel, uninformed about any possible use within my setup. But they all send MIDI messages, and I wonder if they could carry out some useful function in a standard organ console. Insights, welcome.

jkinkennon

Re: M-Audio Keystation 61es: Uses for discarded pieces

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm

The volume slider could likely be extended to connect to the potentiometer on a swell (expression) pedal. It could also be auto detected to operate the overall organ volume in the audio/performance window. You would need to experiment a bit to be sure, but it's worth a try. Perhaps someone has already tried this and can offer suggestions.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 8:59 am

Hello Rafael:
I wonder if the volume audio knob may be installed at hand between the computer audio output and amplifier volume input so it can control the the overall output volume (instead of finding the computer volume with the mouse).
I have that kind of control to use it at night so when I put out on many stops I lower the volume for not disturbing neighbors, while I keep the expression pedal in use.
Saludos- regards,
Luis

1961TC4ME

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 am

I'm one of those that removed the key bed from a 61es (easy to do), I'm using the volume slider mainly as an "auto detected" volume control in HW, but also have auto detected it and use it as a crescendo on certain sets and yes, it can also be easily used as a swell pedal. I used the modulation wheel as a swell pedal controller by extending the wires to the pedal and making a linkage and bracket to connect it to the pedal and it works great, the only thing I find I have to do is reverse it's travel in HW (also easy) and all is fine. I haven't tried using the pitch bend wheel for anything as of yet and am not sure if it auto detects like the rest, but if you've found it's sending MIDI messages like the rest I'm sure it could be used for something.

All good parts to easily use with a little engineering, so don't throw them away!

Marc

dw154515

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm

I replaced the short volume slider (potentiometer) with an Extra Large one from Sparkfun (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9119) for 3 of my 4 manuals. Just splice on some longer, solid-core wire to add enough length down to the expression pedals. This gave me a "full travel" on the expression pedals.

More details on my website:

http://drewworthen.com/Drew_Worthen/Hau ... ssion.html
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

Rafael

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm

jkinkennon wrote:The volume slider could likely be extended to connect to the potentiometer on a swell (expression) pedal.

Certainly, I did it so for the swell, replacing the volume slider with an expression pedal. But the slider is kept apart. What to do with it? That´s the question

profeluisegarcia wrote:I wonder if the volume audio knob may be installed at hand between the computer audio output and amplifier volume input

Professor, I think that it's enough to control the overall organ volume by acting on the amplifier's own volume control, isn´t so?. The computer volume I put it and left it at max.

1961TC4ME wrote:I'm using the volume slider mainly as an "auto detected" volume control in HW, but also have auto detected it and use it as a crescendo on certain sets and yes, it can also be easily used as a swell pedal. I used the modulation wheel as a swell pedal controller by extending the wires to the pedal and making a linkage and bracket to connect it to the pedal and it works great

It would be interesting to see how that was physically done. Do you remain using the PCBs of the slider and modulation wheel or connect these elements to your system in another way? My question in this regard would be how to achieve that the devices can control, within the organ console, something more than the same keyboard they came with.

1961TC4ME wrote:All good parts to easily use with a little engineering, so don't throw them away!

That's the sense of the thread! I continue gathering Keystation's parts in a box, so far 15 and counting...

dw154515 wrote:I replaced the short volume slider (potentiometer) with an Extra Large one from Sparkfun

Nice work, specially concerning the woodworking, which I'm fond about. Did you find another use for the slider within your setup?

dw154515

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 9:33 am

Rafael wrote:
dw154515 wrote:I replaced the short volume slider (potentiometer) with an Extra Large one from Sparkfun

Nice work, specially concerning the woodworking, which I'm fond about. Did you find another use for the slider within your setup?

I have one slider left over, but it could easily be added to a 4th expression pedal. The short slider had very little use for me - however, you can set it to control just about anything in Hauptwerk. The best use I've thought of for one of those little guys is the master volume control. However, I had no immediate need for that.

With the 4 Keystations, I only used 3 of the sliders for 3 expression pedals. I didn't use the original Modulation or Pitch-Bend potentiometers for anything, though, you certainly could. In effect, each Keystation gives you the option of 3 means of "Expression" capability. Nice little "unwritten" feature.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

zmjm16

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Does Anyone have plans for a 2 or 3 manual key stack using M-Audio 61es? Or Pictures, drawings, I'm stuck right now :(

1961TC4ME

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Rafael commented /inquired:
"It would be interesting to see how that was physically done. Do you remain using the PCBs of the slider and modulation wheel or connect these elements to your system in another way? My question in this regard would be how to achieve that the devices can control, within the organ console, something more than the same keyboard they came with."

As far as how it was physically done, kind of hard to explain as everything is tucked into the console and even a picture would be difficult to get at this point, but I used the modulation wheels for the crescendo and swell pedals with rods from each pedal attached to the wheels, a little engineering / fabricating and it works well. The slider I currently have mounted on the console and use it for the volume control so this way I can leave my amps and sound card levels set at one setting. Yes, they connect to the original PCB as they originally did and go out via the USB output / cable. You can connect directly to a USB port on the computer or to a USB hub first and then the computer. From there they are all easily 'auto detected' and put into use, no other modifications required. So, it's a pretty simple and straightforward operation, just takes a bit of home brew engineering which I've found most of us here seem to be very good at. :mrgreen:

Marc

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:03 am

zmjm16 wrote:Does Anyone have plans for a 2 or 3 manual key stack using M-Audio 61es? Or Pictures, drawings, I'm stuck right now :(

Take a look at this:
http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/new-manuals
Regards, Luis.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI