It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

Truly Portable Hauptwerk Rig

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

sjkartchner

Re: JG3 Pedalboard

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Here is a forum thread from 2014 where pricing for the Mopedal was mentioned: http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12890&p=95165&hilit=Mopedal#p95165
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

sjkartchner

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 12:15 pm

Here is another manufacturer of organ pedalboards (some quite portable) that may also fit your needs: http://www.pedamidikit.org

johnsf

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks, Stan, I had just stumbled onto PedaMidiKit and it seems like my best prospect. By the way, I did email Laukhuff and they said that they no longer make the Mopedal.
Alessandro at PedaMidiKit quoted me a very reasonable shipping rate by Fedex of 90-130 euros, and their prices are low compared to other options (around $800-1100). They have AGO, BDO, and 27 and 30 note straight, flat which are less deep.
I’m in a tight space, and need something that can be put on its side and stowed when not in use, but I don’t have to carry it around in a car so I’ve pretty much ruled out the JG3 because of the short depth, too few pedals, and, from reviews I’ve read on Amazon, they have had some quality control issues.
PedaMidiKit has 30 note flat straight options like a non-folding version of the Mopedal. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether this would be deep enough for regular practice of both baroque and romantic repertoire (24” deep versus 30” deep for standard BDO pedalboard). Did Cavaille-Coll organs have concave or flat pedalboards?
Also, as Stan pointed out, there was another thread covering some of these issues, called “Truly portable Hauptwerk rig” and I’m wondering if this thread could be rolled into that one. Sorry I started this without digging a little deeper into postings on this subject.

mdyde

Re: Truly Portable Hauptwerk Rig

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 4:06 am

Hello John,

johnsf wrote:Also, as Stan pointed out, there was another thread covering some of these issues, called “Truly portable Hauptwerk rig” and I’m wondering if this thread could be rolled into that one. Sorry I started this without digging a little deeper into postings on this subject.

Done.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sjkartchner

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 8:42 am

John, let us know what you end up going with. As you can see, this subject has been an interest of mine for some time. I also thought about buying one of the PedaMidi products, but decided to go the JG3 route because of quick availability and at least a few online reviews. I suspect, however, that many of the PedaMidi options will be more suitable for playing a wide range of organ literature.

Stan

johnsf

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm pretty certain I'll go with the PedaMidiKit and have it narrowed down to either the 30-note straight concave BDO which is 29.5" deep (BDO30) or the 30-note straight flat pedalboard which is 23.6" deep (PMK-30). The JG3 is 21" deep. Given my tight space, the PMK-30 model would be an easier fit, but it's only 3" deeper than the JG3, so there might still be issues with heel-toe pedalling.
Stan, I know you mentioned difficulties with that with organ shoes when using the JG-3. Do you think 3 more inches would make a big difference?

sjkartchner

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 am

2.6 inches could make all the difference, at least with my shoe size (10.5 US).

johnsf

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Hmmm, that's helpful info, as I'm just 8.5 US size. Alessandro at Pedamidikit as been extremely helpful in providing me with dimensions and options, and it looks like he could put BDO type sharps that get longer at the outer ends on the smaller 24" deep model, but he couldn't make it concave. For that I'd have to get regular BDO straight concave which is 29" deep.
Maybe this is really a performance practice question, but I'm wondering if there's a big advantage to having a concave pedalboard if I'm playing both baroque and romantic repertoire. Radiating AGO is not an option because of the space constraints.
Thanks for any and all input!
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI