It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

Pedalboard Felt

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Pedalboard Felt

PostThu Mar 12, 2015 4:58 pm

I am getting ready to replace the felt strips on an Allen full-size AGO pedalboard and am wondering if anyone has advice about felt weights. I've ordered 1/2" and 3/8" strips in both F3 and F7 weights and they look and feel about right. Still, I'd rather not do the job twice. My inclination is to use 1/2" F7 for the top side and 3/8" F3 felt on the bottom. F3 is the stiffer felt, F7 a bit softer but looks firm enough to withstand the pedal releases and the sustained pressure as this is where the pedal comes to rest.

I'll let you know how this works out, but I would appreciate anyone jumping in who knows which weight works best. I plan to use hide glue as I have it available and it seems like the logical choice.

jkinkennon

Re: Pedalboard Felt

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 8:11 am

I finally got around to replacing the felts and settled on the F7 weight strips as they were clearly quieter than the F3 weight strips. The firmer F3's would hold up longer I suspect. Perhaps something like F5 would be a good choice though I didn't find it in a darker color at the time I placed my order though Grainger.

TheOrganDoc

Re: Pedalboard Felt

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 11:35 am

Hi,
I have always purchased my felts from "Piano parts supply houses" because they are made for musical instrument use, and are treated to prevent insects, etc., from feeding on it. My pedal felts are now 9 years old and the pedal side-play leather is Rawhide, they both show little to no wear ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI