It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 pm

Foam for my console!

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

ChangedForever

Re: Foam for my console!

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Sonar11 - wow!! sheesh!! OMG. 30 day trial, but I think I can get what I want by then... INCLUDING designing that roll-top I wanted to protect the touch-screens. Thanks much!! :D

eivind

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 5:19 pm

As far as I know there are different versions to install of SketchUp. One of them is free - and doesn't become obsolete after 30 days. Personally I haven't yet had the need for the paid version. Once I got the hang of it - SketchUp has become my fav tool of anything I want to - or need to - build.

When making a console - make sure you dl ready made models to incorporate into your own project. There's no need of designing an AGO pedal board from scratch. You simply copy a reliable one from the web.. check the measurements and incorporate the parts you need from it into your own console model. The same goes for keyboards. Make use of all the online time saving resources you can get your hands on.

When I started my current project of making volume/crescendo pedals - I discovered a model of the midiworks.ca type - decided for those measurements and copied it into my working project. Many serious manufacturers have models of their stuff available online for SketchUp - in addition you can use parts of what other users of the software have shared.

OK - not all special parts are available... - my already bought toe pistons was not available online - so I drew an accurate model of one - and voila (!).. copy/paste the number I needed (10) and so on.. - i.e. do some planning - hack your design into parts, make separate files and copy them into the main project file. You will never look back. 8)

With ScetchUp you can do accurate modeling.. down to the 000000.1 - it lets you decide how accurate you want your project to be. There's stuff to learn - but you will never go back to pen and paper again.

Although I'd very much would like to see pictures of a foam project I think digital 3D-modeling will win easily against any such project.

pat17

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 11:47 pm

sonar11 wrote:You may also want to check out the small video tutorials that are offered; my first time around I was too impatient, spent a lot of time drawing rectangles and lines before I finally understood the more advanced concepts.

2 examples:
- draw a rectangle, then 'pull' the rectangle out 1.5 inches to give it depth
- "snap to face" (when pulling out a rectangle or drawing a line, move your mouse over the face of another object or surface and the line / rectangle length or depth automatically jumps to that position of the second surface.

Basically, without watching the videos, you may spend time (like me) tediously drawing every vertex and line, whereas it is actually very easy, quick, and painless to do many things.

An additional point is the objects library available on the net, which allows to pick up components and sub-components and draw a full consol model rather quickly! :wink:

sonar11

PostFri May 01, 2015 7:48 am

pat17 wrote:
sonar11 wrote:You may also want to check out the small video tutorials that are offered; my first time around I was too impatient, spent a lot of time drawing rectangles and lines before I finally understood the more advanced concepts.

2 examples:
- draw a rectangle, then 'pull' the rectangle out 1.5 inches to give it depth
- "snap to face" (when pulling out a rectangle or drawing a line, move your mouse over the face of another object or surface and the line / rectangle length or depth automatically jumps to that position of the second surface.

Basically, without watching the videos, you may spend time (like me) tediously drawing every vertex and line, whereas it is actually very easy, quick, and painless to do many things.

An additional point is the objects library available on the net, which allows to pick up components and sub-components and draw a full consol model rather quickly! :wink:

Yes, thanks Pat and eivind for pointing out the objects library. Midiworks also has models for the keyboards too, so pedalboard + keyboards + swellshoes can all just be "dropped" accurately into the model with no effort needed to build those pieces.

Romanos

PostThu May 07, 2015 9:01 am

As I recall RA Colby used foam board to block out how the new console for the naval academy would be.

ChangedForever

PostThu May 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Romanos,

There 'ya go.... wasn't such a bad idea after all. Once I get through with the project I can even let my 7 year old grandkids build forts out of it!! What a nifty toy that'd make!!

Have a nice weekend,
Mark

morgen

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 9:12 am

The foam board is a brilliant idea! I was thinking of using foam core board, perhaps laminating several together, for a similar purpose. Your solution sounds much sturdier.

ChangedForever

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 9:46 am

Morgen - there 'ya go; first plan it, then sketch it, then foam it out EXACTLY how you think it should be / will be in the area you're going to place it and you can see EXACTLY what you'll have in the end. You can even spray paint it black / brown / whatever if you want to see what it will look like in your den / living room; get out the dremel and go to town with all the scroll work you can imagine!!

If you need a thicker piece than the 3" stock Home Depot sells for the sides, you can easily spray some spray tack between 2 pieces for a 6" slab if you need it!!

When the console pix begins I'll post on my webpage......

Morgen - don't forget to post your pix, too!! :D

Have a nice weekend,
Mark

morgen

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 10:32 am

Love it. I didn't know if the foam would accept paint (rather than simply dissolve). I was thinking the light green foam board is quite attractive as is, and who wouldn't want a console emblazoned with Super TUFF-R! If it works and I can paint it, I won't even bother converting to wood.

ChangedForever

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 10:50 am

Morgen - I think if you use enamel spray it will melt. I was thinking once I got it set up my might run some black latex spray over it with some fine red or gold trim. Yes, it's a little work, but you get to see EXACTLY what your shooting for.

I think I have to have the wood for the rolltop it's going to have - gotta hide all the monitors from the neighbors....
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI