It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm

AGO SPECS - Swell Shoe Distance From sharps?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

ChangedForever

AGO SPECS - Swell Shoe Distance From sharps?

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Fellow DIY's,

Beginning to plan install of swell shoes - cutting lumber now and getting wiring ready.

I read in the AGO specs when closed, the swell shoe is okay to overlap the sharp about 3/4 in the closed position.... BUT what about the height of the swell shoe OVER the pedal..... is 1/2" about right or 6-7"? Is that a matter of taste - since this console is being made for MY legs, I would imagine I can hang them from the ceiling if I want, right? Seriously, taking a plumb line straight up from the sharp to the swell shoe (closed position) - how much distance should that be?.... (can't find any pics for this distance...)

Thanks for the read, guys.... let me go get some fresh splinters.....
Mark

engrssc

Re: AGO SPECS - Swell Shoe Distance From sharps?

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Make sure there is enough clearance so that you don't "heel" a sharp when using the exp pedal irregardless of a spec. I played, as a sub in another church, a Johannes supposedly built to (some so called) spec and was constantly bumping a nearby sharp. Also when playing lowest B flat, hit a nearby toe stud which woke everyone up including the organist, me. The regular organist told me later "Oh, yeah. I meant to tell you. I've gotten used to those issues". :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

ChangedForever

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks Ed.... Good Idea considering the way I like to dance around on the pedals. Doesn't seem to be a spec so I'll just make it comfortable for me...

Have a nice week,
Mark

GrahamH

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Mark

In my opinion working to these dimensions http://www.sidneys.org/About_Us_files/b ... nsions.pdf
yields a more comfortable console than working to the AGO dimensions, particularly with regard to expression pedals.

Graham

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI