It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 am

Restoring pedalboard - finishing query

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Simon_B

Restoring pedalboard - finishing query

PostSun Jan 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello! :D

I've just joined this fantastic forum, so, first things first - hello!

I'm just starting my adventure building what has for so long been a dream - an organ at home to practice on! I have got hold of an old 30-note concave radiating pedalboard, and am currently building my organ bench.

The pedalboard is in really quite reasonable condition - the only thing really is that the varnish on the playing area of the pedals has pretty much worn away. While one day I would like to take all the pedals out and individually refinish them, this is something I would rather do when I've got things up and running for a bit - I'm still slightly in the "Oh my! Can I actually achieve this?!" stage! :wink: . I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a quick fix for the time being. I was wondering about gently sanding the top surfaces and just applying a thin coat of wiping varnish for the time being, but I don't want to do anything that would be stupid in my naiveity of the nuts and bolts of organ building!

If anyone could suggest a suitable product (I'm in the UK), or give any ideas, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks indeed,

Simon

brooke.benfield

Re: Restoring pedalboard - finishing query

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Simon_B;

My professor at the university used to apply Johnsons Paste Wax to the playing surfaces of the pedals every week.

It was incredibly slick but the original pedal white note caps lasted from 1965 until 1979 and that organ at times was getting 'round the clock use.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

telemanr

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Our Casavant has had nothing done to the pedal surfaces that I'm aware of from 1926 to the present day. They look used of course but they are certainly perfectly playable.
I would hate waxed, slick pedals.
Rob Enns

GrahamH

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Hello Simon

If I were in your position I'd clean the worn pedals with white vinegar, then give them a couple of applications of Danish Oil. This will protect them in the meantime and it won't prejudice any future treatment that you might decide on.

Graham

sutherland

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 am

I found that Ronseal Diamond Hard Satin Floor Varnish did an excellent job.

Simon_B

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 am

Thank you very much indeed for all these replies. At least I know I'm not attempting anything stupid, now!

I'll get hold of some of those finishes and try them in inconspicuous areas and see what looks best.

Many thanks to you all again - that's a great starting point.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI