It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am

What's the best of the low end keyboards under $200

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

macpianoman

What's the best of the low end keyboards under $200

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

I'm looking to replace my old M Audio Keystation. I bought it like around the early 2000's. It works with my ancient Midisport 4X4 and into the MacBook Pro and into Hauptwerk but does not work on the new iconnect Midi 4 etc.The problem with it also is the keys have wandered in height and I think I've about worn it out. My 30 year old Roland AlphaJuno 2 works fine in anything.

So choices are M-Audio Keystation 61 MKII $169
Behringer U-Control UMX610 $179 I hate the red color though.
Samson Carbon 61 USB MIDI Keyboard $129
Alesis V61 61-Key Keyboard Controller $169

I'm not interested in taking out of cases etc even though I have a full 900 sq. foot woodshop.
I also want slimline obviously.
Anything better for less than $300?
Thanks

profeluisegarcia

Re: What's the best of the low end keyboards under $200

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 8:31 pm

You may take a look at these three pages about your question:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11847&hilit=NP11

macpianoman

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks, I had forgotten about that thread. I actually have the Carbon 49 keyboard. I like the action on it. So I thought I'll just use that as the top keyboard. Then I thought I better play some stuff to see how that works. I wasn't through 2 pieces where I ran out of low notes. So I move it down and tried another piece and guess what not enough high notes. :D For some strange reason I got that old old Keystation and trust me I tried this a million times to work with the new iconnectMidi4+

I still don't like the uneven keys.

magnaton

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 11:43 pm

My advice is to try one or two for a couple of days or weeks which will help you decide.

I purchased 2 M-Audio ES controllers (the gray ones) from Guitar Center when they were blowing them out at $99 as M-Audio introduced an updated model. The semi-weighted action was fine when test driving it in the store but when I hooked them up and really started to play through my repertoire, I became disappointed. I purchased a UMX-610 off Amazon Prime and compared both together (M-Audio as the Great and UMX as the Swell). The UMX was a clear winner. I even had my wife and older son run a comparison (both are excellent musicians) and they too chose the Behringer. I simply returned the 2 M-Audio controllers to GC for a full refund. The UMX was only $123 last year when I bought it so looks like they've had a price increase! My other controller is a Nord Electro (73 key) so I don't mind the red color :wink:

Last week a friend purchased the Alesis V61 which appears on your list. I didn't think much of it when I saw it at GC on a demo stand. When he incorporated the V61 into his HW rig, I went over to audition it. After about 15 minutes I changed my mine and gave it a thumbs up. The action is different from the UMX as it's slightly stiffer. It has a nice touch and can work as an organ clavier verses the faux piano weight action the M-Audio had. I mention this direct comparison since they both have the waterfall key design, As you probably know, the 8 pads on the end are MIDI assignable which my friend uses as pistons. The pads, buttons, knobs, and mod wheels are all lighted which gives a nice, modern effect.

Danny B.

macpianoman

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 3:46 pm

BTW I love Guitar Center. Except for Sam Ash I have never seen anything like it. GC is in our town and a good thing it's on the north end of town otherwise I'd be broke. :D

cvmoreau

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 5:59 pm

I don't know if you're still looking; however, if you are I can speak about the Behringer UMK610 (The "Red Devil"). I purchased one several years ago to play at a company Christmas party. It worked great with my laptop and a pair of small M-Audio speakers. I've since retired and I now have it setup with my general purpose computer and use it occasionally to play around with non-Hauptwerk sample programs.

Yes, the red color is pretty "loud" but, for me, at least, it doesn't drown out the fact that it works beautifully and hasn't given me a minute's problem. Also, the touch is really quite good. It doesn't equal my four Classic CMK keyboards, but it comes pretty darn close!

-Chris

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI