It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

DIY Stop Jamb using Nanokey

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

elgoosey

DIY Stop Jamb using Nanokey

PostMon May 02, 2016 10:36 am

Hello all,

Ever since buying touchscreen my nanokey 2 has been redundant. I thought it would be nice to try and make it into a stop jamb. Well I have kind of succeeded.

Basically you need 32mm knobs for cabinet doors, in this case beech. Buy some 6 or 8mm bolts, making sure about 2/3rds is smooth shank. Drill some holes where the nanokeys are. You can straddle the knobs a bit meaning you can make a knob for every second key. So up the white key side you can have 8 and the other 5 or 6. You'll also need some springs. One spring is kept normal size, the other cut in half.

Placing them in a box means they rest just in front of the keys. Pulling them slightly springs them into life, brushing the key and turning the stop on or off when released. You can also push them to turn them on or off. You'll have to adjust the nut on the front to decide how much tension is needed. Also, making a ring of felt will stop so much clunking.

Okay, so it isn't like a real organ where you pull or push and they stay - they return to a mid point. But it makes the nanokey look nicer, if you don't require all the keys! I'm going to be using mine to control all the coupler options hauptwerk offers (16,8,4, Ped) as the buttons are rather small for fingers!

John

(I still have to do the grey key side but you can see how it works!

1961TC4ME

Re: DIY Stop Jamb using Nanokey

PostMon May 02, 2016 12:17 pm

Very clever and great idea! Those Nano keys come in very handy! I've used one in my set-up for a long time and I cut out pieces of Maple which I numbered and made into overlays I epoxied over each key of the Nano Key to use for preset registrations and coupling.

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Mon May 02, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

profeluisegarcia

PostMon May 02, 2016 12:18 pm

¡¡Quite ingeniuous¡ Had had that solution before, my problems with Cavaille Call type pistons had been much easier to solve.
Luis

elgoosey

PostMon May 02, 2016 2:12 pm

I would love if someone had a solution for making it normal type of draw knob. My thinking was a cam shape that followed the knob so rolled over the keys as it moved in and out. Not sure if it would work though!

John

1961TC4ME

PostTue May 03, 2016 10:51 am

elgoosey wrote:I would love if someone had a solution for making it normal type of draw knob. My thinking was a cam shape that followed the knob so rolled over the keys as it moved in and out. Not sure if it would work though!

John

If there's a will, there's a way! :D

Marc

ChangedForever

PostWed May 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Ha ha!!... and I thought ***I*** had a wild imagination!!! that made me smile - thanks!!

-Mark

Opus1954

PostThu May 05, 2016 11:39 pm

elgoosey wrote:I would love if someone had a solution for making it normal type of draw knob. My thinking was a cam shape that followed the knob so rolled over the keys as it moved in and out. Not sure if it would work though!

John

I had the same thought. I remember seeing what you mention here, but I never saw it work.

I have a repurposed console from 1948 and I need 55 Stop Action Magnets (a fortune $$$). I have them working manually with micro switches.

Looking for a SAM alternative for 10 dollars or less each.
1) I ordered inexpensive parts from overseas: two electromagnets and I will try a simple construction to move the stop back and forth. I need to be creative, and construct something.
2) I also ordered a cylinder and solenoid that work on air pressure (a small airbrush compressor in an enclosure might do). This should work out of the box, but I am not sure if the sizes of the tubes and air pressure will be sufficient for all 55 stops at once.

Waiting for parts to arrive and then some time to tinker. I will post on the forum if I get something to work.
- Frank

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI