It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 pm

Pedal board upstairs - noises?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

elgoosey

Pedal board upstairs - noises?

PostTue May 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi,

I am going to be getting a pedalboard in a couple of days for my hauptwerk system. It will be in a bedroom upstairs. When I used to have an electric piano on a stand any vibrations sounded like drums downstairs. Is there anything I can put under the pedalboard to minimise noises downstairs? I was thinking about those black protective foam mats you can get for garages.

Any ideas?
Thanks
John

MikeDC

Re: Pedal board upstairs - noises?

PostTue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm

My neighbors live below me! My entire console, including pedalboard, rests on a rug with a pad underneath. I also have 1/4" felt at each corner of the pedalboard on the "feet."

I don't know how well it deadens the sound, however, I've had no complaints about noise.

Mike

Andrew Grahame

PostWed May 11, 2016 1:23 am

The greatest noise from a pedalboard comes (or should come) from the release of keys, not the striking. Check that the felts under the thumping-rail are in good order.

Andrew

scottherbert

PostWed May 11, 2016 9:04 pm

The rubber mats are a great idea!!! It would absorb any vibration before it could be transmitted to the floor. Make sure your speakers are sitting on them too! :wink:

If you live near a place that sells things for livestock, rubber stall mats come in 4' x 6' x 3/4" that are super tough. If not, Harbor Freight has interlocking anti-fatigue mats for cheap.

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI