It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

Straight pedalboards further forward?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

elgoosey

Straight pedalboards further forward?

PostSun May 15, 2016 7:34 am

Hi,

I have a straight pedalboard. Looking at pictures of straight pedalboard consoles, the pedalboards seem further forward than say RCO/AGO standard of 8 - 10" back from the first manual. Is it correct the sharps sit under the first manual or is it just perspective in 2d pictures/videos?

Thanks

John

johnstump_organist

Re: Straight pedalboards further forward?

PostSun May 15, 2016 6:32 pm

If they are older German organs, yes the pedal boards were not as recessed as today's standards. If they are newer organs, they are probably more in alignment with RCCO/AGO standards. The older pedal boards that were not recessed were used as one of the arguments for toe only pedaling in Geramn Baroque organ music, you supposedly didn't have room to get your heel down. Arnstadt was apparently one of the first organs with a more recessed pedal board. Read here for an interesting take on the subject. http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/FS/sr.html
John

macpianoman

PostTue May 17, 2016 5:12 pm

I subbed in a church that had straight pedals. Oh I would not like to go back and forth with the two types. I got enough issues with learning one.

elgoosey

PostWed May 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I got a straight pedalboard because 1. It takes up a bit less room in a bedroom than concave/rad. 2. I like French music, so why not give it a shot! 3. It only cost £350 new with MIDI!

I have found a position I am comfortable with. Sharps probably start a bit further back than the sharps on the first manual. But I can play it quite easily and reach all the keyboards without feeling off balance or flat footed.

That link was interesting reading. Thanks

John

Romanos

PostTue May 24, 2016 1:27 pm

macpianoman wrote:I subbed in a church that had straight pedals. Oh I would not like to go back and forth with the two types. I got enough issues with learning one.

I spent one summer playing at two churches, one with a standard AGO and another old 25 note straight Hook & Hastings pedalboard from the early 1900's (OHS registered instrument). Now that was fun! Talk about messing with your brain.

I did my undergrad on a straight (and flat) pedalboard and I actually prefer them to concave radiating. I hate radiating pedalboards. Give me a concave parallel with adjusted sharps and I'll really be a happy camper!

johnstump_organist

PostTue May 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Romanos wrote: I hate radiating pedalboards. Give me a concave parallel with adjusted sharps and I'll really be a happy camper!

In other words A BDO Pedalboard. I don't hate radiating but straight concave does seem the most ergonomic. That radiation makes the spacing between notes different depending on how far forward or back your feet are on the Pedalboard.
John

Romanos

PostTue May 24, 2016 2:51 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:
Romanos wrote: I hate radiating pedalboards. Give me a concave parallel with adjusted sharps and I'll really be a happy camper!

In other words A BDO Pedalboard. I don't hate radiating but straight concave does seem the most ergonomic. That radiation makes the spacing between notes different depending on how far forward or back your feet are on the Pedalboard.
John

Precisely. I want to know that if I stick my leg out x amount, no matter how forward or backward, it will land on the same note. I am a normal-to-short person. I have found that some flat pedalboards aren't quite as wide at the top as the radiating. That always helps me too. But then again, I have smaller feet.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI