It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

DTS PIC-1 MIDI Encoder Red Light/MIDI not working

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

mdorganstudent

DTS PIC-1 MIDI Encoder Red Light/MIDI not working

PostMon May 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Problem: The red light that indicates midi data is transmitting after a pedal has been depressed is not working and the encoder is not being recognized on my Hauptwerk software.

Background: Recently purchased a DTS systems PIC-1 encoder for a 32 note pedalboard which I have installed reed switches on. I'm using a RadioShack 13.8V 3amp power supply. The encoder is pull-to-ground so I have a circuit connecting the encoder to each reed switch and the opposite side of the switch to a common ground wire. When the power is turned on, the green power light illuminates on the encoder but the red light indicating that midi information is being transmitted after a pedal has been depressed is not illuminating and the computer is not recognizing the encoder. However the computer does pick up the MIDI-USB cable but Hauptwerk does not pick up the midi info when detecting the pedalboard.

Trouble Shooting So Far: I've used my multimeter to test each individual Molex pin and reed switch in open phase to ensure 5V present and it is present. Also tested the ground side of the reed switch in open phase to make sure 0V is present and it is. Then tested the V after depressing the pedals to make sure the drop from 5V to 0V occurred and it does.

Questions: Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI