It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:00 am

Replacing keyboards on Schober Recital

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

eajohnson

Replacing keyboards on Schober Recital

PostTue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Several years ago I converted the Schober Recital that I helped build back in the 70's with a MIDI system. At the time I did the rebuild I had to work within a strict budget so decided to keep the original keyboards with the gold spring contacts and rewired them to work with the MIDI board I used. This has worked well but now the keyboards are beginning to get noisy and starting to get a "snaggle toothed" appearance from keys beginning to rest at different heights.

My question, has anyone replaced the original keyboards on a Recital with new MIDI keyboards? Any problems with fit? Be interested to hear of any experiences out there with this.

Thanks!
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

TheOrganDoc

Re: Replacing keyboards on Schober Recital

PostTue May 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi, ea,
I know that the rubber key guides are available,
as when I worked at a repair shop fixing keyboards years ago,
we were able to purchase them in quantity.
Sorry I don't remember what company we purchased them from,
but they should still be available !

Possibly a search online for keyboard parts, would be productive ! :roll:
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

magnaton

PostThu May 19, 2016 6:56 am

Hello

I too have a Schober Recital and removed everything leaving only the shell. I have a Behringer UMX610 keyboard and close measurement showed it would fit between the wooden key blocks on either end with the red case removed of course. I really like these UMX controllers but had to order them via Amazon since my local music stores didn't carry them. Looks like they have gone up in price over the last couple years!

I stopped any further work on this console when I acquired a 3 manual Rodgers Triology. I didn't get to the stage of skinning the UMX and mounting it in.

Forum member Al Morse did something similar (actually his website is what inspired me) using ClassicMidi keyboards then for the third manual, adding a keybed from a Yamaha PYT-210.

http://almorse.net/content_organ.html

Danny b.

eajohnson

PostWed May 25, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks Mel and Danny. Al's keyboard change seems like a possibility, I will check it out.
Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI