It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

What a (console) deal

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

What a (console) deal

ldeutsch

Re: What a (console) deal

PostWed May 25, 2016 10:44 am

A long time ago, I had the pleasure of playing one of these Allen TC-4s for several years in one of my many organist/choirmaster jobs. It was extremely well-built and very solid. The stops are equipped with SAMs and there is a starboard in drawers under the side jambs. The sounds were very good for the time - but rather limited. As I recall, it has three basic tones plus the Allen "rank change" controls like "flute becomes stopped, reed becomes one, and celeste strings."

This is definitely one of their AGO consoles with good keyboards.

Assuming it all still works, this would be a great starting point for a HW project.

Les

TheOrganDoc

PostWed May 25, 2016 12:47 pm

It must be picked up in New Jersey, but at a prior bid of .01, $, can't be beat ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

engrssc

PostWed May 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Might be worth renting a small truck or a trailer. I would be interested, but I still have a ready-to-convert 3 M in my garage allowing the car to brave the elements outside. Probably not a lite weight with all that metal. Having SAM's is certainly a plus. Looks pretty good from the pictures. Seller says he will remove whatever the buyer doesn't want making it lighter.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 2:27 pm

That is the EXACT console I have and started with for my HW project and was lucky enough to score it complete with the pedal board, all for free. It was serving duty as a plant stand and a mouse house. Had to take the front door off the old gal's house, plus clean about half her house and move furniture in order to get the 500+ lb. beast out! She said it made screeching noises when she played it, probably was the mice screeching as they jumped around on all the electrified contacts! :lol: Since then it has seen a complete overhaul, fully gutted and refinished, and 3 new key boards, and no more mice, well except for the one that's for the computer. :wink:

Marc

engrssc

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Any new, good mouse songs around? Only the Mickey Mouse Club song comes to mind and that's pretty old. :roll

Looks like someone got quite a nice console to refurb.

You should post some current pics sometime of your console, Marc.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 pm

engrssc wrote:Any new, good mouse songs around? Only the Mickey Mouse Club song comes to mind and that's pretty old. :roll

Looks like someone got quite a nice console to refurb.

You should post some current pics sometime of your console, Marc.

Rgds,
Ed

There's always that song about the mouse that ran up the clock! :mrgreen:

I did the latest overhaul a year ago January and just haven't got around to posting pictures. I've still got the pictures in my camera, will have to try posting a few soon.

Marc

engrssc

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:15 am

1961TC4ME wrote:There's always that song about the mouse that ran up the clock! :mrgreen:

Afraid my memory as an infant doesn't go back that far. At least I was a pre-teen when the M/M Club was current. And that was also pre-MidiTzer and pre-Hayptwerk but I was starting to think about such things. Then along came Schober. I found the need to earn extra $$ so I could start building kits. Built all the Schober models except the very smallest, the one with the split keyboards. Life was good (and simpler, or was it?)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI