It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

Rodgers 660 conversion

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

johnh

Rodgers 660 conversion

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 am

Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the Rodgers 660. This an older ( 70s?) organ and am wondering about the general quality of the components and their suitability for a VO conversion. Thanks.

ldeutsch

Re: Rodgers 660 conversion

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 2:05 am

John,

I remember this generation of Rodgers instruments - which included the 330 and 990 as well. They were very well-built, including nice wooden keyboards. Unless yours has been updated, it does not have MIDI. Rodgers might have an upgrade kit - so its worth checking with them. If not, you will need to add all of this, as well as remove the multiple doors full of analog electronics to make room for what you will need to add. The existing power supply might be fine. In my own conversion, I replaced the incandescent lighting in the music rack with solid state lights. The old bulbs are hard to find nowadays (bit still possible online.) The pedalboard is excellent - and can be adjusted for touch. The pistons and toe studs should also still be excellent. I believe this model had the core memory capture system - with real magnetic cores! These will not be worth saving - unless you can donate them to a museum or give them to friend who collects historic computer systems.

Les

johnh

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi Len,
Thanks for your comments. If I pick this up I'll be doing a complete gut of the existing sound generation equipment. My main concern is the quality of the keyboards, pedalboard, etc which you say should be good. So it looks like we're in good shape here.

Apparently the 660 came in two versions, one with knobs and one with tabs for stop control. Wonder if they can be easily reused....

rayjcar

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 2:54 pm

I have a detailed written procedure I prepared for someone else who was converting a Rodgers 340 theatre organ. This was based on my conversion of a 333. Send me a PM and I will e-mail it to you

Ray

engrssc

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 2:06 am

Another (moving) consideration - these organs are heavy. Really best to use an organ dollie to move them and some muscle as well. But as Les said, well built, (to last).

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 2:08 am

Deleted.

jkinkennon

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 11:02 am

I am not familiar with the Rodgers 660, but if it uses the -15V supply for the SAMs like the older 22/32 models then it should be possible to reverse the power supply for a +15V supply and drive the SAMs with PNP darlington transistors such as the TIP127. That would allow using one of the Midi Boutique decoders. I'm currently doing this with a 32C that has tabs. I've tested this approach but have not yet built a full decoder. Let me know if you want any updates. I'm presently looking at what IC might be ideal to replace the 2N2222s I used to drive the TIP127 for the test so I can get the PCB layout finished.

johnh

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for their comments and info. Ends up that the 660 is being donated to a small church that will use it as-is to replace an aging Conn organ. If it becomes a money pit it still may be a conversion target in the future. It's in very nice condition.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI