It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

Converting pneumatic keyboards to MIDI

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

organtechnology

Re: Converting pneumatic keyboards to MIDI

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 12:23 am

engrssc wrote:
organtechnology wrote:Although I do not agree with your contact conditioning opinion I will defend until death your right to be wrong :)

The Schober line is a keeper, as you said.

BTW, Thomas, as a good friend keeps telling me, remember we need to take care of "us" because we are dead for a long time. :shock: (Thought about that while visiting my cardiologist today).

For the record, the info/opinion on the contact situation was not mine. We did originally, and with advice from the makers of De-Oxit, attempt to use all of their products (and I still use them). The info came from a metallurgist I happened to know at the time (now deceased). We also sent contact samples to Caig Labs out in California. Their metallurgist agreed with the findings that the contact material had become a non conductor and as they said, beyond conditioning. I even went so far as to see if the contacts could have been replated with no success. So to use a reverse play of words, we left no turn unstoned.

Now my original point is, there is no way, other than inspecting and testing to know for certain if a pipe organ console's contacts could be used to drive an encoder. They may or may not be ok. :o 'nuff said.

And, yes, I still am a (fond) supporter of the late Richard Dorf. I still look back positively on the experience of getting boxes and cartons in the mail and building a complete Schober organ. His beautiful do-it-yourself consoles are still used by some folks who have replaced the electronics, keyboards, and such. He was a pioneer. Even the bench(es) and pedal boards were well done. I built all the Schober organ models except the smallest split manual spinet. As good as that experience was then, seeing advances with Hauptwerk (along with computers today) I wouldn't go back. :)
Rgds,
Ed

I have one if you want it. Needs a little work on the pedal board and a computer. It has two M-Audio 61es kb and a midified Schober pb. I was going to make it into my personal unit but my house ran out of room.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 1:16 am

Thomas, you need to find a room, extended version. When you find one, let me know.

I have a full blown, MIDIfyed, restored Recital in a storage area of my of my businesses shop area. It is planned to go to a friend's place as soon as he gets married and buys the home he is planning. He isn't sure which of the two he wants to do first. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

mkc1

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am

I had a similar problem when connecting old pipe organ keyboards to an encoder. The contacts just didn't operate well enough with the low voltage/current used by the encoder. What I ended up doing was using a larger current and voltage to switch a transistor on and off (through a resistor of course) and using the transistors as the switches to be read by the MIDI encoder. A bit kludgy but it works flawlessly. My encoder used a 7x12 matrix with a 'row' for each octave (with a bit leftover for pistons, etc) and a 'column' for each note -- all Cs together, all C#s together, etc. Each note had a circuit like this wired to it:

https://flic.kr/p/o5pJpN

and there were a couple of boards of these circuits for each keyboard:

https://flic.kr/p/nN2rq2

https://flic.kr/p/o3twh7

engrssc

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 9:10 am

That's an expectable plan.

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

I had similar problems with "Pipe organ keyboards", both when playing Electro-Magnets & Pipes,
and the same problem with my own Wurli. Pipe, keyboard contacts. My console originally controlled a Pipe
organ in a Theater on Long Island NY. I had so much trouble with the original contacts that
I designed, built,and installed Optical switch replacement PCB's !
They have been playing Beautifully for over three years! (Amen) :D

When I repaired organs years ago I found that I could go to a Jewelers Supply house,
and purchase, 15 one thousandth's inch round Sterling Silver Wire,
and carefully replace oxidized or burnt contacts .
(This always was a very time consuming project, but worked like new !) :roll:

I have in past utilized, "Magnets and small Reed Switches" as well as Hall Effect Devices successfully,
but my 309 or so, Opto-Switches all still play perfectly !

RSVP,-------Best wishes,------- Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

maestropotvin

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 3:44 pm

In case some of you might be interested, I have contacted the organ manufacturer to obtain more details on the keyboards and their workings to see how difficult or even if it will be possible to make this work in my console.

Thank you all for your input and valuable guidance.

Stephane
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI