It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

Using MIDI 5 pin din for power

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Using MIDI 5 pin din for power

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 11:45 am

I have been asked how to phantom power a MIDI device by connecting the unused pins1 and 3.

The drwg below is looking at the solder (pin) side of a female 5 pin DIN (MIDI) connector. Pins 1 & 3 are shown available/not connected.

The "norm" for this is to connect the positive + supply voltage to pin 3 and the negative (or com) to pin 1.

Likewise, make sure that the MIDI cable you plan to use has 5 conductors. Some MIDI cables only have 3 (conductors).

Rgds,
Ed

csw900

Re: Using MIDI 5 pin din for power

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 2:43 am

Very important --

Don't forget that power supplies have voltage as well as polarity.

Also all power supplies have a limited amount of current available.

All of these have to match BEFORE you connect them together.

csw900

organtechnology

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

csw900 wrote:Very important --

Don't forget that power supplies have voltage as well as polarity.

Also all power supplies have a limited amount of current available.

All of these have to match BEFORE you connect them together.

csw900

Actually a well regulated dc power supply of the correct Voltage can be rated at more current than needed without concern for matching. A problem seems to arise when a poorly regulated wall wart is rated at v-Volts at a-Amperes. If less than a-Amperes is drawn the Voltage will be higher than expected. However if the open circuit Voltage is lower than the maximum for the board's regulator, it should work fine. Always, always check wall warts for open circuit Voltage. I have seen some high current wall warts that put out almost twice the label Voltage rating.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 am

Very true, Thomas, I didn't mention that because I don't use wall warts but rather regulated (computer) power supply(s). Have even replaced those that come with some otherwise well regarded products. This, possibly due to one problem a while ago. In that, using the supplied, correct wall wart caught fire inside a console that I built. It was not overloaded and worked properly for a while. The connection to (a well known commercial) product was not shorted, the wall wart was a poor product from a country that makes 1,000's of these and some other poor products as well by the 1,000's. The main product that this bad wall wart was powering was and is not defective and is still in service. So even tho a product itself is good, doesn't mean that the wall wart is.

I should mention that (phantom) powering MIDI units by using cheapie MIDI cables is unwise because many of these cheapie cables use small gauge conductors. I've never had a problem using higher quality MIDI cables and I don't daisy chain them either.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI