It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:04 pm

Does size of pedalboard matter?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Dnsmo

Does size of pedalboard matter?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Greetings. This is my first post on the Hauptwerk forum.

I'm in the process of putting together a DIY console to use with Hauptwerk as a practice instrument, and I'm currently in search of a pedalboard.

I've decided to go with a 30-note concave/radiating board, and I'm lucky to have found a source of old pipe organ pedalboards, most of which are 30-note C/R, some close to AGO specifications. It's interesting to see how much dimensional variation there can be in vintage pedalboards, some with noticeable differences in radiation and concavity.

With regard to pedal key spacing, is my best bet staying close to the AGO standard of 17.5 inch octaves? One of the boards I'm consider has an almost 18.5 inch octave span because of its exaggerated radiation. Some are close to or narrower than the AGO spacing spec. My only point of reference is a Hammond console's 25-note flat/radiating pedalboard (since I'm mainly a Hammond player) with its narrower spacing, which must be below 17 inches. Am I correct in assuming that the front-of-sharps width is the best dimension to use in comparing the key spacing of pedalboards?

I have read the Kenneth Spencer book (which has been very helpful) and it seems that the 30-note pedalboard he acquired is narrow compared to the boards I've been looking at, most of which are 50-51" front width and 36-38" back width.

Any guidance/insights about pedalboard sizing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dennis
Dennis

scottherbert

Re: Does size of pedalboard matter?

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 am

I think it mostly depends on what you do. In other words, do you play at home mostly, or do you play a lot of different organs? If you mostly play at home, it make no difference. You get used to your instrument, you know where your notes are. If, however, you play others a lot, you may feel awkward until you practice there a while. That is why the AGO fought for a 'standardized' pedalboard.

Sometimes, a fraction of an inch difference between keys adds up across the width of the pedalboard to 1 or 2 notes! :oops: (Did I do that?)

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

GrahamH

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Another thing to look out for:
The spacing of the naturals should be constant (2½" or 65 mm) across the width of the pedal board regardless of whether or not there is a sharp between them.
On some pedal boards, the spacing between B & C and E & F is smaller than between the other naturals. This is "non-standard".

Graham

Dnsmo

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 7:51 pm

scottherbert wrote:If you mostly play at home, it make no difference. You get used to your instrument, you know where your notes are.
Quite true. However, as I mentioned, my main point of reference is a flat/radial 25-note pedalboard. I think its fairly narrow pedal key spacing is the main thing that bothers me about that design, other than lack of concavity.

So my supposition is that wider spacing is preferable (even wider than AGO specs, up to a point), especially since migration from my home setup to another organ is not important to me.

One board I'm considering has a radius below 7.5 feet, which definitely makes for wider spacing close to the sharps. Too bad I can't try it out before buying!
Dennis

Dnsmo

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 7:54 pm

GrahamH wrote:Another thing to look out for:
The spacing of the naturals should be constant (2½" or 65 mm) across the width of the pedal board regardless of whether or not there is a sharp between them.
On some pedal boards, the spacing between B & C and E & F is smaller than between the other naturals. This is "non-standard".

Graham
Good point. Sometimes the difference is even noticeable to the eye without measuring. I'll keep that in mind.
Dennis

engrssc

PostThu Sep 29, 2016 2:21 pm

My organ teacher stressed that you should ideally / "theoretically" be able to play an organ blindfolded. Meaning during your practice sessions, you memorize where key and pedals are located. That means not having to look down at the pedals while playing. Can be a problem if the practice organ (pedalboard) is appreciably different then the performance instrument.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI