It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

arrangement of tabs and pistons

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

fermata

arrangement of tabs and pistons

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 3:27 pm

In planning the layout of tabs and pistons on my new virtual ogan, I would like to group them by their families -- the principals, the reeds, the strings, and the flutes. Does anyone do this? Is it not a good idea? I find it very confusing when they are all mixed together.

IainStinson

Re: arrangement of tabs and pistons

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 4:19 pm

The arrangement of stops/tabs is an area where national preferences and practice have a large impact. I suggest you look at some of the sample sets available for HW to see the diversity of practice. Hereford, Salisbury and St Anne give the usual "English" arrangements, Rotterdam gives a good view of a modern European organ etc.

The arrangements for pistons is often even less "standardised".

Theatre organ layouts are quite different again.

Translating side stops to tabs can be more challenging too.

One of reasons I like touch screens is that the layout of the stops can vary to match the instrument being played.

Unless you are going to use only one sample set, you need to think how to label physical tabs / stops or use a dynamic labelling arrangement such as e-stops (from Midi Boutique) to reflect the allocation of stops to physical controls.

Iain

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI