It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:23 am

turning your console on/off

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

fermata

turning your console on/off

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 5:43 pm

I wonder how people turn on and off their consoles, especially ones with a Mac as the HWk computer. I understand that Macs can't be turned off at the powerstrip without risking damage. Is there a one-switch solution for turning off a Mac console?

mnailor

Re: turning your console on/off

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 6:51 pm

You can use MIDI learn to assign a console control to trigger the shut down computer option under the File menu.

See section V in Hauptwerk user guide.

fermata

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 7:27 pm

Found it, thanks, mnailor.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 9:13 pm

After consulting with Mac experts, I decided turn off off the computer only every 3-4 days. Meanwhile I let it in sleep mode, and it works ok this way.

fermata

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 9:12 am

profeluisegarcia wrote:After consulting with Mac experts, I decided turn off off the computer only every 3-4 days. Meanwhile I let it in sleep mode, and it works ok this way.

Good to know this, thanks, profeluisegarcia. I like to get up from my playing and come back later, so leaving it in sleep mode would work just fine for me. I am planning to bury my MacMini under my stack, so I have to figure out a way to access the on/off button on those occasions when I'd like to turn it off. Thanks very much for your response.

telemanr

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 9:31 am

Can you not shut down a Mac from the HW File menu shutdown choice?
Rob Enns

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 4:24 pm

telemanr wrote:Can you not shut down a Mac from the HW File menu shutdown choice?

Yeah, Rob. We cant shut down the Mac from HW but no to put it in sleep mode. Technicians explained me that is not good for the Mac turning it on-off-on off frequently. And in sleep mode I can play HW several times at day or night, just awakening the computer. Sometimes HW does not recognize the Classic Midi keyboards (and I´d like to know why), so I have to take out from a moment the USB plug connected to CMKs.(Fermata: take notice of this¡)

Luis

fermata

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 8:25 pm

Doesn't your Mac automatically go into sleep mode by itself? For example, my MacAir is set to go to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity. Can't you set you HW Mac to go to sleep after, say, 5 minutes of inactivity?
How long does it take to wake up when you return to the organ?

engrssc

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Permitting the Mac to go to sleep by itself, so to speak, could be a problem esp in such circumstances as for a church where, after the computer (and Hauptwerk) is turned on, we can't have is arbitrarily going to sleep (possibility like some congregants :o ) where for instance hymn singing may be interrupted by a variable length of the spoken word(s).

I would appreciate if Martin could make putting a computer in a sleep mode as well as when in sleep mode, another piston could wake it up, being that the USB's are still active, correct?

While at it, maybe another H/W function to do a computer restart?

Rgds,
Ed

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 pm

fermata wrote: Can't you set you HW Mac to go to sleep after, say, 5 minutes of inactivity?
How long does it take to wake up when you return to the organ?

Simple: go to the apple (left corner up) Preferences/Energy saver...and choose the right time for you- It takes a couple of seconds to "sleepers awake" (Bach`s) :wink:

fermata

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 11:32 pm

I will not be using a screen in my HW setup, so that I cannot put the computer to sleep that way. I like the idea of dedicating a piston or two to the function of putting it to sleep and awakening it. I'll vote for that!

mdyde

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 am

engrssc wrote:I would appreciate if Martin could make putting a computer in a sleep mode as well as when in sleep mode, another piston could wake it up, being that the USB's are still active, correct?

Hello Ed,

We do have an existing enhancement request logged (for future consideration) to look into what might be possible with regard to controlling OS X's/Windows' sleep modes from MIDI pistons. I've added your notes to it.

engrssc wrote:While at it, maybe another H/W function to do a computer restart?

There's already a function on the File menu in Hauptwerk for restarting the computer, and you can auto-detect MIDI pistons to it via its settings screen.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 9:14 am

Double thumbs up, Martin. And a thank you as well. :)

As was said, putting a computer to sleep (along with powering it with a UPS as a power backup) all but eliminates the long boot up and sample set startup time.

I hadn't heard previously that many turn on/off cycles stresses a Mac altho it makes some sense..

Rgds,
Ed

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm

There are some other possible issues with simply allowing the Mac to sleep during instrument shut off.

My system may be the 1 in a million … but ..

I use a dinosaur 32GB 1,1 (2007) Mac Pro still on OS X 10.7 because it isn't compatible with any later version. Thankfully, the latest HW updates still run on 10.7. My audio interface is another dinosaur Echo Audiofire 12.

As long as I do not turn off the Audiofire everything is fine when I wake up the system. But if I shutdown everything (including the Audiofire) while simply letting the Mac go to sleep with HW still running — there's a problem. For reasons I haven't dug into, even if I power up the Audiofire FIRST, before waking up the Mac — and if the system has been in this shutdown state for a "while" (once in a while it works, but most often not), HW loses it's connection to the Audiofire. Neither resetting audio/midi nor doing the emergency reset of audio/midi fixes the problem, The only option is to shut down and restart HW. This is likely an OS/driver issue rather than a HW issue, but nonetheless makes leaving the Mac in sleep mode rather than powered off iffy at best.

I'm getting around the problem by shutting down the Mac via the HW menu when I turn the system off. A 1TB SSD plus having HW start at boot with the last used sample set helps solve the problem of the longish startup time.

This may not be an issue in whatever set of devices you plan to use … but is something that's worth looking into.
Grant

telemanr

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 2:00 pm

In HW with an organ loaded I use Engine/Advanced use/Stop audio/MIDI and then Sleep the computer which it does instantly.
When I wake it up I just have to go to the menu and Start audio/MIDI and I'm back where I left off with no problems.

I must, however, leave the Motu running otherwise I have problems. But this doesn't hurt and it doesn't draw a lot of current.
Rob Enns
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI