It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

How many expression peds?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

mdyde

Re: How many expression peds?

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 4:43 am

NickNelson wrote:It might also be possible to assign the same control to simultaneously effect large and random tuning variations. I'm sure Martin could advise on this.

That isn't possible directly, I'm afraid!

engrssc wrote:A technical issue is as how to actually control those divisions (swell and choir) that already have expr pedals. By that I mean would the general master volume ped over ride the existing swell ped let's say that was in the closed position and open it up?

Hello Ed,

Hauptwerk's master volume control simply affects the entire audio output level, akin to turning the volume knob down on your amplifier. Hence its amplitude-reducing effect will be on top of, not instead of, any amplitude-reducing effect of a swell pedal/box.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

Re: How many expression peds?

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 5:23 am

mdyde wrote:[Hauptwerk's master volume control simply affects the entire audio output level, akin to turning the volume knob down on your amplifier. Hence its amplitude-reducing effect will be on top of, not instead of, any amplitude-reducing effect of a swell pedal/box.

I made the change of crescendo pedal to master volume per your information and found the results as you describe (of course). Not sure if this is the exact "remedy" in this case as the swell and choir expression pedals still control those 2 divisions. So it appears the organist has to set those up for a proper effective use of the master volume pedal. And I found, as expected, that the master vol ped does not function as swell shades by effecting the higher frequencies as does the regular expression pedals. I played with this new "feature" for a while last evening and probably biased somewhat, don't myself like it. I notified the organists involved and will wait to hear their response.

In the above post of mine, I was thinking back quite a while to playing a real pipe organ where it was possible to in effect, link the separate expression pedals almost as if mechanically. I really can't remember the details or even where this particular organ was/is. I know this is a weird comparison, but I remembered this organ pedal situation as being similar to when I drove tractor on my uncle's farm where you could flip a lever (or not) between the tractor's 2 brake pedals. This feature on the tractor permitted you to apply the brake to only one of the rear wheels to make a sharp turn. Yeah, weird. :roll: Maybe that's where the expression "turn on a dime" came from.

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI