It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 pm

iRig BlueTurn

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Romanos

iRig BlueTurn

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello All--
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this irig page turner as a sequencer next/back button and gotten it to work. This looks like it would be a PERFECT way to add simple sequencer functionality in HW but I don't know if HW (on a mac) will recognize it. I would assume that if it is in arrow forward/backward mode and you sync the sequencer to those physical buttons on your keyboard you should be good to go.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlueTurn

engrssc

Re: iRig BlueTurn

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 3:43 pm

If I understand your post correctly, I would ask why you would be considering an external sequencer when there already is a powerful and versatile sequencer already built into Hauptwerk?

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 3:45 pm

You misunderstood me, perhaps I did not make myself clear. I meant that this looks promising to use to trigger the built-in HW sequencer. I assume if you put it into forward/back arrow mode, if you set the "next" button in HW to the forward arrow on your physical keyboard, that using this bluetooth trigger would effectively press "next" for you. IE- it looks like you could use this as a bluetooth toe stud.

murph

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm pretty sure the I-rig devices are for i-os only, not mac-os. If you slave an i-phone or i-pad to a mac, you may be able to persuade the attached device to generate a midi signal that HW recognizes. It could be a little more effort than mac users are accustomed to exerting, though.

Romanos

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 4:32 pm

No, it does list MacOS as one of the compatible systems.

murph

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Oh, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Romanos

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 8:05 pm

That is why I am so curious if anyone has been able to get this to work before… Because it seems like it would make the perfect poor man's toe stud.

johnh

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:13 am

Romanos wrote: Because it seems like it would make the perfect poor man's toe stud.

Teensy++ 2.0 = $24
( https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensypp.html )
Two Toe studs (eBay) = $14.13
( http://www.ebay.com/itm/pipe-organ-toe-studs-2-/162291998225 )

Poor man's toe studs: $38.13

Advantages: They look like toe studs, direct MIDI over USB connection to your computer, powered by USB.
Disavantage: Some assembly required.

---john.

mdyde

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 4:08 am

Hello Romanos,

I don't know of anybody who has tried the iRig device you mention, so I can't say for certain, but from a brief look at the website it says that it can send computer key presses, and Hauptwerk can potentially auto-detect computer key presses to trigger its virtual pistons/buttons, so it would appear that it should work in principle. Note that 'real' computer keyboard key presses are only sent to whichever application is in the foreground (has the input focus), which might make them less convenient than MIDI pistons. I don't know whether that same limitation applies with the iRig. (It would depend on whether their host/driver software sends the key presses.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI