It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

How to connect expression pedals to CMK3 analog inputs

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

mnailor

How to connect expression pedals to CMK3 analog inputs

PostTue Dec 06, 2016 5:11 pm

I have a new console that uses 4 CMK3 keyboards and a Classic pedalboard. I've been unable to get the pedalboard's 3 analog inputs to convert swell shoe movements to MIDI after doing the programming steps on the pedalboard. The swell shoes aren't from Classic.

While waiting for vendor help on that, I'd like to connect the swell shoes to the analog inputs on the keyboards. I haven't been able to find a user manual for the CMK3, and can't find the physical connection for analog inputs on the keyboard explained in midiworks' support tutorials so far.

The swell shoes have 3 pin male molex connectors for the Classic pedalboard's 9 pin female swell shoe connector. Does anyone know what cable adapters I would need to attach these 3 pin cables to an analog input on a CMK3? And where to buy that?

If this would be obvious to someone looking at the keyboard backs, I apologize. I don't want to move the organ and unscrew the keycheeks and backboard to look in the back without knowing if it can be done first.

Thank you.

BachsFugue

Re: How to connect expression pedals to CMK3 analog inputs

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 pm

There is a user manual for the CMK-2 here: http://www.organworks.com/support/CMK-2%20Manual%201.5.pdf.
I should imagine that it's rather similar or identical to the CMK-3.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

mnailor

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you. That is similar!

mnailor

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 am

The CMK2 manual refers to the 3 pin input headers on the keyboard as terminal blocks. Does anybody know what kind of cable to buy that fits these? I need female-to-female extension cables to connect to 3 pin male at both ends.

Searching for these terms doesn't find anything similar, so I guess I still don't have the right name for the connectors.

Thank you.

telemanr

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 am

Google "3pin female connector"
You should find something.
Rob Enns

mnailor

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for idea. The search turns up some 3 pin "fan" connectors, which I think are power cables for computer fans.

The fan connector pictures look right, but I can't tell if size/pitch/spacing is correct.

Do you think a fan connector is the right size for this?

NickNelson

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 pm

mnailor wrote:The CMK2 manual refers to the 3 pin input headers on the keyboard as terminal blocks. Does anybody know what kind of cable to buy that fits these?

'Terminal blocks' usually refer to the kind of arrangement where you push the (bared) ends of the wires into the holes and there is a screw arrangement to clamp them in position. Personally, I would use thin screened two core cable for this. I use Evolution XPC 301 cable for this sort of thing (and for MIDI), but I don't know if or where you would get it in the US. Maybe one of your compatriots can suggest something suitable?

mnailor wrote: I need female-to-female extension cables to connect to 3 pin male at both ends.

If I'm right about the terminal blocks you won't need any sort of termination at that end other than the wires themselves.

For the other end I would expect that 3 pole 0.1" Molex KK female housings and crimp terminations would be needed.

You can assemble these by hand using needle nosed pliers, though it's a bit fiddly. Maybe you could find someone to make them up for you. I rather doubt that you could source what you need ready made, but good luck!

Nick

NickNelson

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:45 pm

mnailor wrote:Do you think a fan connector is the right size for this?

Yes, I would think so, though it's difficult to be absolutely sure.
The three fans I have to hand (two CPU coolers and one case fan) are all compatible with Molex 3 pin headers though.

Nick

telemanr

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:57 pm

You might email Darryl at Classic and ask what to get.
Rob Enns

mnailor

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Thomas at OrganTechnology was able to confirm that the CMK3 analog inputs are 3 pin fan connectors, not terminal blocks like the CMK2 has.

So it looks like this female-female 3 pin fan extension cable should work:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Custom- ... Cable.html

Thank you all for your help.

UPDATE: The extension cables above did fit, and the swell shoes are now working through the keyboard analog inputs. There were misaligned connectors, incorrectly attached by me, that caused the original problem, later solved by Thomas. Thanks again.
Last edited by mnailor on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnailor

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 pm

I've been emailing Classic, but the lack of a reply has me thinking I may have an email problem. I just re-sent my questions using their Contact Us page, which I should have done in the first place...

UPDATE: I heard back from Classic today after I used the Contact Us page -- same day response. I'm sure my email server is to blame for the previous delay.
Last edited by mnailor on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhm

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Darryl left CMW some months ago.
I think his replacement is called Raymond (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

organtechnology

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 4:37 pm

dhm wrote:Darryl left CMW some months ago.
I think his replacement is called Raymond (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hello Douglas,

You are not wrong. He is now playing in the band "The Fairest and the Best" and probably a day job too.

Sure miss him.

Thomas

Edit: Both Attila and Raymond answer the phone but my interaction recently has been with Attila.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

telemanr

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm very sorry that he left. He is a sterling character.
Rob Enns

johnh

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 11:11 pm

At Classic, Attila Magyar is mostly in charge of the 'Midiworks' side of the business these days. He's also the person that answers the phone if you're on the West Coast and call after normal business hours in Toronto. I have no complaints in my dealings with him both for Midiworks and Classic Organ Works products.

---john.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI