It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am

Sourcing Keyboards

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

MikeOfBonsall

Sourcing Keyboards

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 12:14 am

There seems to be a shortage of midi keyboards. Common keyboards ideal for us like the Fatar TP/60 can not be found anywhere in the USA. I know organWorks in Canada advertises but several emails for product info to them have gone unanswered. Martin tells me they can not get keyboards from Fatar and I can't find a UHT distributor anywhere. All I can find is manual pipe organ keyboards and contact rails. I was hoping to put midi ready keyboards in a console and don't want to incorporate poor quality non pro organ stuff like the M-Audio Keystations so I had to settle for converting used Allen keyboards.

Someone please help with a source or comment on the shortage.

Mike
Bonsall, California
Regards,

Mike Stevens, Bonsall California
Console: Allen TC-1. Two manuals, AGO pedalboard, 34 thumb pistons, 4 toe pistons. Midi cards from DTS. Amplification Krell KSA250 stereo, Speakers B&W 801 Series3. Favorite Sample Set Grafthorst-027 (Bad Ass SubBas16)

mdyde

Re: Sourcing Keyboards

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 5:28 am

MikeOfBonsall wrote:Martin tells me they can not get keyboards from Fatar

Lest there be any confusion, that particular Martin wasn't me! (I don't know anything about any current supply shortages, I'm afraid.) Classic MIDI Works are usually very quick at responding.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 11:04 am

MikeOfBonsall wrote:There seems to be a shortage of midi keyboards. Common keyboards ideal for us like the Fatar TP/60 can not be found anywhere in the USA. I know organWorks in Canada advertises but several emails for product info to them have gone unanswered. Martin tells me they can not get keyboards from Fatar and I can't find a UHT distributor anywhere. All I can find is manual pipe organ keyboards and contact rails. I was hoping to put midi ready keyboards in a console and don't want to incorporate poor quality non pro organ stuff like the M-Audio Keystations so I had to settle for converting used Allen keyboards.

Someone please help with a source or comment on the shortage.

Mike
Bonsall, California

Hi Mike,

Actually Fatar keyboards WITH ENCODER are readily available in the USA. The tracker touch, velocity sensitive MIDI keyboards such as the ones sold by Classic MIDI Works are harder to come by but the Fatar TP/60 without tracker touch or velocity sensitivity is available from Organtechnology and others. That same keyboard with a velocity sensitive encoder is available from us also. The naturals are white plastic and the sharps are black plastic with a slight slope to them which resembles the Rodgers organ keyboards.

Contact me at the email listed in the signature rather than the PM.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mnailor

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 am

Classic Midiworks responds to mail submitted through their Contact Us page. I've also had trouble getting a response to email not sent that way -- didn't know if it was my mail server's problem or theirs. You can also call them.

I don't know about their supply chain, but I bought 4 cherry wood Fatar keyboards with round pistons from them a couple months ago and couldn't be more pleased. They are in a really nice console from Organtechnology.

Marc Cerisier

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 12:46 pm

You could also contact Matt Arnold—he imports Fatar keybeds directly and adds his own custom wooden keys. The price was great.

http://arnoldorgans.com/

-marc

MikeOfBonsall

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. Keep the info flowing!
Regards,

Mike Stevens, Bonsall California
Console: Allen TC-1. Two manuals, AGO pedalboard, 34 thumb pistons, 4 toe pistons. Midi cards from DTS. Amplification Krell KSA250 stereo, Speakers B&W 801 Series3. Favorite Sample Set Grafthorst-027 (Bad Ass SubBas16)

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI