It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 am

Fatar TP60/L keyboard vs. TP/6LP

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

John L

Fatar TP60/L keyboard vs. TP/6LP

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm working on my keyboard stack and had been planning on using Fatar TP/60L keyboards. An interesting offer has come up based on TP/6LP keyboards. It seems to be quite hard to come by detailed specifications for each but I thought that the collective might of the Hauptwerk forum could, perhaps, come to my rescue.

I've determined that the 60L keyboard is plastic/metal whereas the 6LP is all plastic. I assume that the 6LP is a somewhat inferior product but my question is just by how much is it inferior? Does the 6LP have the top resistance "tracker action" feel of the 60L? What other differences are there? Perhaps above all, does the 6LP cut it as a reasonable quality reliable keyboard?

Any opinions gratefully received!

John

tf11972

Re: Fatar TP60/L keyboard vs. TP/6LP

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 3:22 am

When I bought my console four years ago I had the choice between the standard TP60L and the next step, TP60LW with a wooden core. In the shop I could play both and I registered a more smooth play feeling with the wood core, so I ordered it.
If you can afford, buy keyboards with complete wood keys, it's the best way to avoid sweat while playing.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

ludu

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 am

For my console, I had to choice between TP/60LF and TP/60LW. I have chosen the first one because the feel is lighter. This is a question of personal taste, but I hear people saying that the quality of the TP/60LW is better. I am wondering if this advice is objective because I do not read any justification. Therefore, I am also interested to see other posts on this subject.
Luc

mdyde

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Hello Lud:The mechanics of 60/LF and 60/LW seems to be the same (/http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_60LW.htm)

John:
The physical link between the organist and the instrument is the key through the sense of touch:touching and feeling wood is very different from feeling plastic keys, specially when playing ancient organs. (Why? A psychiatric disorder?) Planing a lifetime investment it is advisable to try the get the best from the beginning.

I strongly recommend wood core, wood (naturals) on wood (sharps) keys: TP/62 ,63 or 64
I got my three keyboards :D from us.midiworks.ca, in a two years period.
Luis

ludu

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 am

profeluisegarcia wrote:Hello Lud:The mechanics of 60/LF and 60/LW seems to be the same (/http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_60LW.htm)

Hello Luis,
The mechanics are probably the same, but not the settings. I have a 60/LF and my brother in law a 60/LW. I notice a difference of weight. The 60/LW is heavier to play.
Luc

hovudverk

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 am

I don't think two brand new specimen of TP60/L and TP/6LP would be so easy to tell apart in a blind test. The tracker-touch simulation is accomplished with the same sort of rubber bubbles. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend the TP/6LP to anyone who intends to play a lot — I know of two organists who have worn them out in just a couple of years, to the point where both the rubber and some of the keys need replacement (due to broken/deformed plastic parts). I suppose the rubber of the TP60 series models would wear out similarly, but at least there is less plastic in the construction (and the rubber bubbles are not very difficult to replace).

ArnoldOrgans

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 am

We tested a TP/6LP. The naturals have a shorter key front and we could feel the all plastic construction when playing. The particular version we tried also had weights in the keys. Although they are more affordable, I would not recommend one.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

John L

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 7:30 am

mdyde wrote:[Topic moved here.]

Thanks for doing that Martin and my apologies for posting to the wrong forum. I couldn't see a way to move it myself.

John.

John L

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks for all the comments folks. Keyboards are, understandably, a very much a matter of personal preferences and it can be hard to arrive at a consensus. Of course it's not helped by commercial considerations - keyboards are expensive! Anyway, I am better informed now and I value the input from all that have responded.

NickNelson

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 am

John L wrote:... keyboards are expensive!

They needn't be.

I have recently been given an nice pair of 58 note compass keyboards from a dismantled tracker organ in Yorkshire. Of course, they need to be cleaned, provided with return springs and contacts or sensors of some sort, and MIDI-fied, but fortunately I like doing that sort of thing.

Once 'fettled' they will be just fine and not a hint of plastic in them at all.

Nick

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI